Chapter I - A New Friendship (Part 2)

Cade started by walking to the opposite side of the town where there was a tree he enjoyed relaxing under. It provided the perfect amount of shade, overlooking a small training area across from the small town’s marketplace. He would usually purchase several fruits from there and relax under his tree. Eventually there would be someone passing through the town who knew a thing or two about swordsmanship. Cade loved to challenge everyone to a small spar, refining his own skills in the process.

He arrived at his spot and saw his new acquaintance, Pyro, practicing his Vulcan magic. Cade stared at Pyro’s blade trying to figure out what he was really seeing. It appeared to be a normal sword with a handle and hilt, but in the place of the sharpened iron blade there was only fire. The flames seemed to expel from the edge of the hilt, licking outward in whichever direction it was pointed. When Pyro swung the blade most of the flames were left behind in a vicious, red arc, and were quickly replaced with new ones. He wore a pair of red gloves, each bearing an embellished golden flame. Cade broke his gaze over Pyro and walked over to him.

“Cade? What are you doing here?”

“I came to train for a little while.”

“You know how to swordfight?” For the first time Pyro grinned at Cade.

Returning the grin, Cade placed his bag under the tree and tightened his armors. He drew his light blade and swung it around in a circle twice. He held it next to his face with a single hand; his free hand was behind him to maintain balance. “A fight? Sure thing.”

Tightening his grip on the blade, fire flared outward in every direction surrounding the Vulcan caster. Cade was amazed at the sight, the fire had practically engulfed Pyro. Some of the fire settled to reveal Pyro readied for battle with his blade held up high. Cade ignored the powerful blade and concentrated on Pyro’s stance. The two stood opposite one another both with knees bent and blades up.

Cade lunged toward Pyro swinging his blade at chest level. Pyro swung his blade faster than Cade had been expecting, blocking the attack with ease. Cade immediately jumped back from the hungry flames. Cade wanted to survive longer than several seconds and those flames were making sure he could not get in close. Pyro followed up his block with a swift horizontal slash of his blade; Cade dodged it by rolling aside. It was time to change his attack strategy. Cade stood, ready to counter anything, and waited for Pyro to attack.

Nothing happened.

Pyro must have devised the same plan. They both smiled at each other and charged, head on. Pyro hopped to his left; Cade mirrored Pyro by going right. When each landed, they immediately lunged inward. They hit faces and fell to the ground, calling the match a draw.

“I guess we have the same fighting tactics,” Cade started.

Pyro added, “We’d make a formidable team.” Pyro’s words seemed to linger as he studied Cade. He smiled, “I’m done training for now; I think I’m going to poke around town to restock on supplies. You’re welcome to come if you want.”

Cade accepted the offer and they both picked up their belongings. Pyro walked up to a stand filled with canteens of water and various fruits of all colors where he purchased one of each. Cade noticed how Pyro seemed less distant than earlier. Cade also purchased several medicinal items, several different herbs and a few mysterious glowing potions, which he placed into his pack.

Cade led Pyro back to the tree where the two sat in the calm shade. “So, Cade, do you live here in Projechon or something?” Pyro asked.

Cade went to nod his head but stopped, “I guess you could say that. Not really. I just stay at the inn; don’t really have a home. It’s kind of complicated.”

“I just arrived in town last night. I umm…wander around the lands I guess you could say.” Pyro shifted his legs to a more comfortable position, crossing his feet at the ankles.

“Really? I used to do that with my family. That is until I was separated from them. I got lost I guess.” Cade hated this topic; he didn’t enjoy talking about it. The disappearance of his family and tribe was still partially a mystery to him.

“My story is a little different, but, I don’t want to talk about it…” Pyro’s head dropped down.

Happy the topic was dropped, Cade sat up to get a better look at his new friend. “Fine by me. But what is up with your blade?”

“You mean my Inferno Blade? I’ve always had it, I guess. It’s pretty cool right? The only solid part is the hilt! That’s why I’m able to swing it so fast; I just use two hands to confuse my opponents. Sort of like what I did with you.”

“Can I see it?”

“If you think that’s a good idea.” Pyro unsheathed the blade and handed it to Cade. “Careful.”

Curiosity got the best of Cade; he grabbed the blade. His fingers were immediately burned and he dropped the blade. Pyro caught it and sheathed it. “Ow! You could have warned me that would happen!”

“I did! I said ‘Be careful,’ but you didn’t seem to care.”

“Then how in the world do you hold that thing?”

Pyro held up his gloves. The fingertips were cut off and they looked to be made of a thin, red, leather-like material. “My Inferno Gloves. They use Vulcan magic to alter any heat that touches it. It’s actually cooling. So, you could say they take heat and make it obsolete.”

“Interesting. I have a light blade. Boring in comparison.” Cade said with a grin. Next to Pyro’s magic sword, Cade’s looked out dated. “I’ve had this blade since I was little, my father gave it to me.

Pyro spotted an approaching group of agkors—a wolf-like beast that had a far more ferocious nature. Their eyes were large, black beads that showed no emotion, only an emptiness and an intent to kill. With about three times the mass of a normal wolf, agkors use their large bodies to intimidate. Once an agkor arched its back and shrieked its blood chilling howl, the victim was surely dead.

Cade jumped up and readied for a battle. There was no way the two could retreat. Agkors were fast and poisonous; they could track a rabbit, chase it, and tear it to shreds; the rabbit would be dead from the poison before it could feel the razor teeth tear through its small body. Pyro followed behind him as he drew his Inferno Blade. “Cade, I want to try something. When this blade was forged, I heard a voice speak to me. It said, ‘Unleash the true power of the inferno with the chosen companion.’”

“What should I do?” The largest agkor took charge of commanding the five others in his pack. They approached the two young fighters, snarling saliva and dripping venom from their long, sharp teeth.

The alpha agkor slinked back and forth watching the two boys. The giant animal arched its back and shrieked only to be mimicked by its pack. The sound was ear piercing making it seem as if Cade’s skull was going to crack in two. Surrendering to the pain would be certain death. He did his best to gather himself and concentrate, shutting out the banshee-like howl.

Pyro looked Cade in the eye, now was no time for hesitation. “Cup your hands around mine and let your energy flow freely. Hopefully I can get this to work.” Cade approached and reached for Pyro’s hand which grasped the Inferno Blade. They brought the blade upward, raising it high over their heads. All four hands began to glow and the flames around the blade grew longer and longer. Two words flashed across Cade’s mind, words he had never heard before, but his body commanded him to yell them. The two shouted, in unison, “Omega inferno!”

Fire erupted from the blade and shot out in the form of a searing beam, engulfing all six agkors. The howls and snarls that had filled the air seconds ago were silenced. The light from the beam was blinding causing everything to go white. The flames dissipated showing the scorched plain. Trees, grass, and agkors all alike were now just piles of ash sitting on the charred ground.

“I suppose it worked.” Cade said, short of breath, as he stared, eyes wide, at the incinerated ground the beam of fire left. The two young warriors stood in awe watching the grasslands smoke. Neither really knew what had happened during the bright flash of light.