Chapter Ten- Part 2

The next day was slightly trying, as the man they had hired to put a third suite on was hammering and sawing above their heads all day.  Alice winced as customers made faces at the noise.

“Sorry, we’ve got renovations going on upstairs. Should be done by tonight.” She looked up as the back door bumped shut. Gabriel gave her a little wave.

“Hey, I came down to get away from the racket. I’m making tea. Want some?”

            “That would be great, thanks. It is noisy up there, but luckily it will be done in a day, which is pretty impressive, even with magic. Then you’ll have your own little place.”

            Gabriel gave her a playful bow. “For which I am extraordinarily grateful.”

            Alice grinned as he retreated to the back room and there came the sound of the whistling kettle and the clinking of tea cups on saucers.

                “Excuse me.” A little blonde girl was standing in front of the counter peering up at Alice.

            “Oh hello.” Alice put both elbows on the counter top and leaned down to speak to her. “What can I do for you?”

            “I’m looking for the CD release for Alexie Ambrose. It’s supposed to be on this street today.”   Alice noticed the girl clutched a colourful gossip magazine in one hand.  Instead of saying          “People” across the front it read “Witches” and there was a handsome man with very white teeth on the front.

            “I’m sorry -  I don’t actually know where it is. There’s a little music shop down the street. They might be having a release there.”

            “Thanks.” 

            “Is that him…on the magazine?” Alice took a closer look as the little girl held it up proudly.

            “That’s Alexie. Isn’t he handsome?”

            “He certainly is.” Alice didn’t just say it for the little girl’s benefit. The man on the front cover was smoulderingly gorgeous. He had curly black hair and dark, promising eyes.

            “He’s dreamy,” the little girl said.

            “That’s what I keep hearing. Have fun at the CD release.”

            “Thanks.” The little girl smiled, revealing a mouth full of gleaming white, razor sharp teeth.  Alice froze, but luckily the girl was already turning away and didn’t see the horrified look on her face. The bell rang as she went out.  Only then did Alice get her breath back.

“Holy crap!”

            “What?” Gabriel walked into the front room, balancing a cup and saucer of steaming tea in each hand.

            “That little girl looked perfectly normal and then she smiled. She had about a million pointy teeth!” Alice hissed. She looked around to make sure the customers browsing the shelves couldn’t hear. “It was like being smiled at by a shark!”

            Gabriel laughed, setting one of the cups down on the desk. “You just met a Harpy.”

            “She was so cute and innocent looking.” Alice couldn’t contain her astonishment. “I can’t believe it.”

            “Wait till you meet a fully grown Harpy,” Gabriel told her. “The women are drop dead gorgeous, very seductive, but man, they’ll rip your throat out faster than you can blink.”