Chapter 1 - A Birthday to Remember

Chapter 1

A Birthday to Remember

Everyone has a place they feel safe and secure. A safe haven, if you will. A place where they go if they feel sad, stressed, or annoyed. A place that seems to wrap them in a hug and comfort them. For me, was my own personal Dreamland. The place where I could go to escape the horrors of life and just dream up the craziest stories. Okay, I'll admit it. I, Addison Knight, was addicted to sleeping. It was my drug. When I wasn't at school, doing homework, or spending time with my boyfriend, Holden, you would have found me curled up in my bed dreaming about aliens and unicorns.

On that oh so horrible morning, I awoke to cold feeling in my stomach. My eyes flew open as I drew in a shaky breath. Bombarded with the morning light, I slapped my hands over my eyes and groaned. Someone had opened the curtains! The rustling of my silk sheets alerted me I was not alone. Slowly, ever so slowly, I opened my eyes. There, peeking out of my purple bed sheets, were pair of small, piercing blue eyes.

"Dear Jesus!" I shrieked, rearing back. As luck would have it, I flew back so far I went tumbling to the floor. My white walls swirled around me as I rolled, banging my head on the ground every few seconds. When I finally stopped, I rolled over on my back. My heart was beating in overdrive as I stared at the ceiling, taking deep breaths.

The infuriating laughter coming from two different directions made me clench my fists. What the heck were they doing here?! It was the first day of summer! Couldn't I have just one morning of peace? I should've been used to it by now, but no. I just had to fantasize about sleeping in for once. After all, it was my birthday. Oh, sweet, sweet seventeen. Joy.

"Happy birthday!" Alex, the blue eyes in my bed, shrieked, jumping from his perch and landing on top of me. I grunted from the impact, hugging his chubby body tightly.

"Thanks, buddy." I managed to croak out, ruffling his blond curls. He gave me a smile, practically melting my heart. His huge blue eyes were just too cute! He hopped off of me, promptly running from my room yelling something about the birthday cake.

'Happy birthday, Addie!'Luke cheered with his hands, stepping out of my closet. 'I'm sure that was a killer scream this time, by the way.' He gave me a thumbs up before holding a hand down to help me up.

'Not funny.' I signed, taking his hand. He quickly pulled me up, brown eyes sparkling, 'One of these days I really am going to have a heart attack.' Sign language was something I had picked up quickly when Luke was born deaf. He was one of my best friends. I learned sign language as I learned English. In the seventeen years, I had known him, sign language had just become a second language to me.

The Daniels boys lived next door. Our parents were best friends, so naturally, we had grown up together. Since my birthday was always around the first day of summer, the boys had taken it upon themselves to prank me every single year. They're exactly how I imagined my own brother. If he was evil, that is.

"You say that," A voice said from behind me, making me jump, "But it has yet to happen. I, for one, am waiting for the day." I narrowed my eyes at Trent, attempting to break his blue gaze. His short brown hair was slightly messy but combed nevertheless. His effortless beauty was a gift from the gods, but he was the devil. I was fully convinced.

"Ha. Ha." I said humorlessly, speaking and signing at the same time so Luke could understand. He was good at reading lips, but I never forced him to. "Thanks for saying happy birthday, I really appreciate it." Luke chuckled behind me, patting me on the back. I loved Luke, he was my favorite Daniels boy. We were friends against all odds, unlike Trent and I. We had a hate...hate sort of relationship.