‡ Chapter 5 ‡

Levi led me to my room. We remained silent during the walk, the thick tension between us clouding each other's thoughts.

My gaze drifted towards his fair white skin, his messy brown mane stating a bed hair impression. Peering closer towards the scar across his left brow, he turned and I averted my eyes, cowering like my hand was caught in the cookie jar. Reaching a long underground corridor, he opened a door that had a porthole window through the front.

"Welcome to the luxury life," he spoke, crossing first.

Following after, I suppressed the urge to widen my eyes. The pigment of black engulfed the furniture, the head of a bear hanging above the ink coloured bed, the sheets matching the furry carpet. Only a shadowy dresser and framed mirror occupied the room, most of the area filled with empty space. A gloomy love seat sat lonely by a stoned fireplace. The wood and charcoal were untouched.

"It's not much, but you don't need anything. You'll only use this room for sleep"-his honey eyes flickered a hint of mischievous-"Unless you have other plans."

I snorted and discovered the bathroom, admiring the comfy small space. The interior walls were patterned by midnight marble tiles and what occupied the counter was a toothbrush, toothpaste and a mahogany handled brush. "It's nice." An unusual tingle crept up my shoulders. This was an extreme difference from my entire white decor room back home.

"You ever thought about brightening this place?" I turned, and noted him staring.

"No. Not really," he answered simply.

I decided to cut right to the chase. Drawing myself closer, I asked in a calm tone, "I want more information on the drug that's in my system. Tell me how my dad is a part of all"-I waved my hands-"this. And why I belong to both you and Romane." Filtering the desperation, I clung onto a solemn face.

Pearly white teeth flashed with enjoyment. "Your questions will be answered tomorrow. During the games." Games?

Turning from his intimidating gaze, I glanced up and snagged a glimpse of his dark figure exit the place. Entering the hallway, I saw him already at the end of the corridor and called, "You could have least said goodnight!"

Not stopping, he remained on his determined strides and slithered with a crispy voice, "Goodnight, darling."

Then the hallway lights went out.

Eerie vibes crinkling down my bones, I quickly closed the door and cranked the light controlling knob. Even the bulbs were quite dim. I took a deep breath. I buried the mountain of emotions deep within my chest, and had a hot shower, refusing the mocking mirrors. A single glance at my face would result to the massive breakdown I feared.

Wearing a black robe, I checked the closet and evidently found it drowning in dark garments. I threw on a silky pyjama set and nuzzled under the sheets, tucking myself until decent warmth surrounded my body.

Exhausted, my mind dragged on the confusion that began to multiply since I arrived. This drug inside of me. It was invading my body. It was affecting the way I spoke, my thoughts, my instincts, my reflexes. My ability of being human. Gone was the timid, quiet spoken Jessie who ran dry of emotion and feelings. This was my alter ego finally surfacing. My dark side I had so easily jarred under my skin.

My mind ached from the questions that led to this frightening detection and I shut down my mind, hopefully wishing I could fall asleep. I rolled my eyes to the ceiling.

A sudden crinkle attacked my chest. My bottom lip quivered. A whimper escaped. A tear. The bundled emotions released themselves and the sobs collapsed into a lake of grief. There was too much to feel. Too much bottled up.