Chapter 5

Gray's POV

I feel so bad for leaving Willow all alone back at home, I really do. But, that's not the worst part. If it was any other day, I wouldn't feel just as bad. But it is the Christmas season right now, and I'll be gone for the New Year as well.

She must be feeling so lonely right now. I mean, who wouldn't? Considering you have no family whatsoever, and your friends have to be with their respective families.

No kidding, I'd be upset if I didn't have a family either. So, let's review the situation, shall we? She's home alone, sitting somewhere in her apartment, with no one to comfort her when she cries and no one to accompany her when she feels lonely.

While I am here, in Paris, sightseeing the 'wonders of Paris' as my parents claim it, laughing and having the time of my life with my sister whom I haven't seen in about four years since she came here to study culinary arts.

I sighed softly every now and then, thinking about Willow, as I walked down the streets of Paris, lit by only the street lights – which was quite bright, note that – all alone. Both of my hands were shoved into my pockets and my hoodie was covering my head. I looked down as I walked through the streets, occasionally cutting through random alleys as a shortcut.

I told my parents that the reason I wanted to go out was to see some of the sights of Paris at night, which isn't a total lie. I know for a fact that my parents don't usually like to go out at night, so it means that I'll be going out alone. And that is exactly what I want. To be... Well... Alone.

But, alone in the unfamiliar streets of a foreign country? Not my idea of 'being alone', but it's better than staying at my sister's apartment with my whole family laughing and having a good time. All except me.

I can't just stay in my make-shift room, because one of my parents would always eventually drag me out into the living room again. So, that attempt just proved to be futile.

I spotted an alley just up ahead. I'm not sure where it would lead but I just took my chances anyway. After all, it is just an alley. I can back out anytime if I get lost or something.

I was already halfway down the dimly lit alley when all of a sudden, I heard voices. My whole body froze for a split second, not daring to move. Hearing voices in alleys are never a good thing. It is proven. Anyway, why would it be?

I tried to walk closer to the direction of the voices, as quietly as I could manage. There was a ninety degree turning up ahead. I have a strong feeling that the owner of those voices was just standing beyond that turning. It's a good thing the walls of the buildings blocked off anyone who is standing just around the corner from seeing me.

As I got closer, the voices got louder, and clearer. I crept up along the wall, pressing my back against the uneven wall, and peeked a little. Just for about five seconds or so. But just enough for me to process what I had seen. And with that, my suspicions were confirmed.

There were three men there, all in about... Late-twenties? Or somewhere in their thirties? I don't know. I'm terrible at estimating. I'm not so sure about their hair colour, but it all seemed very not normal, so I'm guessing that it's all dyed. All of them were huddled together, discussing about something.

"The job is still not done," one of them said, his voice is low and it sounded angry. "The youngest is still alive."

Another started swearing under his breath.

Wait. The first voice sounded remarkably... Familiar... But, how was that even possible? I've never met him before. But then... Why?

I waved the thought away as the same guy who swore under his breath spoke. "I thought they were all dead."