Chapter Four

"...At last, my love has come along...my lonely days are over..." As the beautiful tone of Etta James played inside the hall, I stood outside on the balcony, sighing with content as I looked over the dense forest, finally feeling free for the first time in a long time.

Jonah had disappeared somewhere and wasn't around to bother me, Fiona and Jada had found some single wolves to dance with and my parents mingled with the other Alpha families, strengthening bonds and all that other important pack stuff that didn't concern me.

As I stood in a place of pure serenity I wondered if this is what life was really like – not having to look over my shoulder, not having to nurse a bruise or fear when my next attack would come. I could just stand here and exist and enjoy existing. I didn't have to hide away tonight and I felt a little lucky to be here.

I let out a small squeal of surprise as a pair of arms crossed over on the balcony. Stumbling backward from the railing I eyed the strange male whose outfit was surprisingly unkempt for the event. His crisp white shirt was crinkled and rolled up his arms, roughly tucked into his black dress pants, his bow tie not even tied up.

"I wanted to see what was so interesting out here," his voice broke the awkward silence of me just staring at him. He rotated and leant back on the railing, staring at me with an odd expression. I became so lost in his face that I barely cared how he looked at me.

That face.

He was handsome to say the least. His jaw was strong and it looked as if it had been chiselled to perfection. His lips were full, only his lower lip seemed to be slightly fuller than the top. His nose was sharp and shaped to his face nicely, and his eyes...a girl could get lost in those shining brown orbs, heck I was lost.

"I also wanted to see if you were who I thought you were." His words snapped me out of my haze and I blinked at him. He let out a laugh, "I'm glad to say you are."

"Um..."

My eyes widened as he took my hand in his, and I secretly marveled at the feeling of his rough palm encased around my own. I nearly shut my eyes. What was happening?

"I can't believe it's you," his voice was wondrous as he got off his position on the balcony and I watched as he seemed to get taller. Suddenly I felt awkward, coming up to his chin and having him still holding my hand.

This was strange and frankly shouldn't be happening.

He was a wolf, I knew that. I could identify one quite easily – their teeth gave it away.

"I'm not sure – You seem to think you know me, I've never actually been h-here before..." as I slid my hand out of his I crossed my arms behind me and took a couple of steps backward so I could clear the cloud forming in my head.

He frowned a little, looking surprised. "You don't know what we are do you?" I cocked my head in slight confusion, not following. "I know you're half-breed, I can smell it...I didn't realize your wolf was so dormant."

I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment and I looked away.

"Sorry, that was rude. That isn't a bad thing or anything. I just thought you'd still have wolf qualities."

"I have some," I quipped, suddenly feeling the need to defend myself.

He smiled again and the air nearly left me.

Don't faint.

"What's your name?" He asked as he took a step closer to me.

I bit my lip and took a shaky step backward, "Evelyn."