Road trip

Written 2012 by VeGirl

Elijah had picked me up and I once again ended up at the Mikaelson's residence. It didn't feel homey no matter how many times I visited.
Klaus was on the phone when we walked into the parlour. "Hi Kol, where are you? I'm bored."

We didn't hear the response, but Klaus snickered. "Yes, I got myself a new plaything as well." He laughed sinister.
"I'm getting tired of this righteous prick for a big brother." Klaus had his eyes on Elijah and I couldn't imagine the feelings that flowed between them. "I think I need a change of scenery." He snickered again.

Elijah and I exchanged looks and maybe he tried to be supportive to me, but that look scared the bejesus out of me, this was going to be dangerous. Damon was right to try and stop me, but not because Klaus and Elijah was the big danger, it was now obvious; Kol was the one I should worry about. And it looked like Kol really had Anna.

Klaus ended the phone-call and turned to his brother. "He's in Charlotte, so we better get going."
I just looked surprised at him.

"Come on, snap, snap!" he gestured for me to hurry up.

Due to the conversation we had walked in on, I realized Elijah would not be joining us for the trip. I was supposed to go alone with Klaus.

Oh no!

I took a deep breath and followed Klaus who was heading for the door. I glanced one last time at Elijah who tried to give me a supportive smile. He was creeping me out.

We went out to his black car and he opened the door for me. "No handbag?" He was eyeing me.

"Handbag?! How old are you?" Then I remembered who I was talking to, my smirk disappeared and my eyes flickered to his face.

He was actually smiling. "One thousand one hundred and twenty six, I think," he said with a wicked smile. I didn't know what to say or do. He looked challenging at me for a while. "Do you think I'm too old?"

"Well, as I told your brother; I draw my line at two hundred," I mumbled tart.

Klaus actually laughed.

My stomach was in a knot as I climbed into the car with Klaus, just to find out I had four and a half hour in this close proximity of him.

To my utter surprise, he turned out to be a gentleman during the ride and I soon relaxed a bit.
He was making small talk for a while, wanting me to tell him about myself, but mostly we sat in silence, listening to 'the Bravery' on the stereo. Surprisingly it wasn't that kind of awkward silence you sometimes experience, but it was a relaxed comforting silence. It was clear that we were both in deep contemplation.

"Tell me about your sister." I needed the distraction or I would go mad with worry about Anna... or myself.

Klaus looked at me, seeming to see if I was to trust. "You don't mean Rebekah, right?"

"No," was all I said, he knew who I meant.

"Tatia." He breathed the name and it seemed to be hard for him to tap into the memories. "She was beautiful," he added with a laugh; "Well you have met Elena and Katherine..."

I returned his smile.

"I fell for her and so did Elijah. We both wanted her and... it got ugly." He gave a weak smile and left the subject. "It was her blood mother mixed with the wine, the night Michael killed us. Her blood made us vampires."

I gasped. "Your mother killed her?"

He gave me a smile. "No, she didn't take that much. But I found out that if I wanted to release the hybrid in me, I would have to kill her."

"Yes." I remembered Elijah explaining that, once before. "That's diabolic, when she knew you liked her," I murmured, looking out the side window of the car and not seeing Klaus observing me closely.

He sat in silence for a while. "Michael wasn't the loving father, I'm sure you had..."

I whipped my head around and glared at him. "I told you I was in foster care, since my mother left me. I had no father, but a lot of bad stepfathers." My tone was sharp at start, but got more and more abject.

We looked at each other. "Who knew we would have something in common?" he said and eventually his face changed into that charming sincere smile.
He turned his eyes to the road in front of us and so did I and we sat in silence for a while.

"What about this Annora-girl?" I felt a need to ask.

He chuckled for a while. "I think she had her eyes set on Elijah, but he was heartbroken after Tatia, so he didn't really respond the way she wanted." He chuckled a bit at the memory.

My phone chimed and I saw in the display it was Damon.

"Hi sweetie!" I answered. "I'm still okay, no need to be alarmed."

"She's still alive!" Klaus called out with a chuckle.
I really wanted to have a little privacy for this call but I knew the impossibility, vampire-hearing and all.
"I'm sorry for what I said before."

"I can't really blame you, but I beg you; Please be safe!"

"Yeah, I'll try not to piss off some really old guys," I said, glancing at Klaus by my side. He just rolled his eyes.

After the conversation with Damon I felt a little better even though I missed him like crazy and I really hoped I would see him again and not get myself killed during this ride. I preferred to sit in silence and contemplating life by looking out the side window at the farming landscape we were driving by.
I was getting hungry, I hadn't really been able to eat before we left, and I had been much too worried to get food down. My stomach started to grumble.

"Do you wanna stop for a cuppa and bickie?" he asked and I looked surprised at him.

"I'm way over tea and cookies. I need food!" I smiled at his British expression though. "I need steak!"

He chuckled. "That's the drawback of being human," he mumbled and stopped the car at the next diner.

I ordered grilled chicken and French fries, not caring the slightest about eating with my fingers in front of him. It's not like this was a date!
"Aren't you having anything?" I asked as I realized he only ordered a cup of coffee.

"I had a drink before we left," he said with one of his eyebrows raised for me to understand what kind of drink he meant.

I didn't really care who he had eaten but I sat there thinking about something witty to say about not drinking and driving, but I came up blank, so I didn't comment it.

He was flirting a bit with the waitress, whose eyes flickered to me. I rolled my eyes.

There weren't a lot of people in the diner and by an accident I started to think about the rampage Stefan and Klaus had been on. I wondered what would have happened to the people in this little diner. I had to shake off the thoughts and couldn't look at Klaus for several minutes.

"We better get going," he said when I finished my dinner and raised a finger for the waitress. "Can I have the bill, please?"
She might have slipped him her phone number with the bill, I thought she blushed a bit, but I looked away and we got out to the car again.
I so wanted to talk to him about Caroline, but I choose not to. Not right now.

Klaus fiddled with his phone connected to the car stereo and I suddenly recognized the band. "Is this the Maccabees?"

"Yes. Have you heard of them?" He sounded surprised.

I smiled. "When I was in Oxford, one of the girls in my class was cousin with Felix, one in the band, so yes; I have definitely heard them."

"They're good," he said and I just nodded, looking out the window.

.