04 - A Crown of Horses

LOVE! Rohirrim Style

Chapter 04

A Crown of Horses

“Father!” Imrahil stopped in his tracks, an automatic smile pasted on his face before he turned to face his rather bossy daughter-in-law. As much as he did love her, sometimes, she could be a bit… pushy. He turned and bowed slightly.

“’Lataie. How fare you this morning?” He gave her kiss on the cheek. 

She returned his affection enthusiastically. “Spring cannot come soon enough! I swear, this has been the coldest winter I can remember.” She stepped back and perused the man for a moment. “May I speak openly for a moment?” 

Imrahil looked at the clerk who was attempting to give him the morning’s harbor reports. The man dipped in reverence and stepped to the side, as if that short distance would remove him from the conversation. Imrahil then spread his hands, palms up, motioning to the large hall. “When have you never spoken openly?” He winked at her. “I know; my son finds it charming,” he chided gently.

Gorothalataiel was a beautiful woman, if not a spitfire. She had glorious dark red hair, which flowed like a river when not piled on her head. Right now, determination was set on her porcelain face. “It is about Lothiriel.”

“Is she ill?” Imrahil was immediately concerned. She was his only daughter and the fact he doted on her was well known to all his subjects. “She broke her fast with me not an hour ago-“

“Oh, she is not that sort of ill, but she is love-sick and I am rather worried about her. So is Alagardaien, truth be told.”

“Hmm.” He put his hands behind his back and proceeded to stroll down the long hallway, the clerk following along behind. “Love-sick? I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.”

“Father, please, I am most worried about her!” Lataie rushed to get in front of him. She turned backwards, so she could address him face-to-face, all the while continuing to walk while backing up. She lifted her skirts and kicked them out of her way “She is listless and twists that ring the King of Rohan gave her incessantly. I fear she will rub the insignia off before he comes to get her. She does not go out-“

“It is cold,” he reminded her.

“Aye, but I tried to get her to go shopping with Daien for items for her and Elphir’s baby and she refused.”

“She refused to go shopping?” Imrahil stopped, the clerk barely stopping in time from running into the Prince’s back. Lothiriel was never one to overspend her allowance and rarely asked for additional or frivolous things. In fact, she had spent most of her moneys for the people of Rohan, still struggling after the war. But by Ilúvatar, the girl loved to shop. “What excuse did she give?” 

Lataie sighed. “She said she would want to shop for her wedding clothes, but there is that silly superstition about buying things before the wedding date is set.”

“Ah,” Imrahil resumed his slow walk. “Well, the contracts are not finalized and I do not expect all the signatures and final details to be hammered out until the spring, when the snow melts and regular messengers will return. I suspect she can count on a late summer or early fall wedding.” He smiled hopefully. “Or if I am lucky, the following spring!” He went to move around his daughter-in-law and motioned to the clerk. “I am so happy we had this chat.”

Lataie let out a sigh of exasperation. “FATHER IMRAHIL!” He stopped and turned. “She stands at her window looking out to Rohan constantly. She does not go out, except to ride that wild horse Éomer gave her and practices her Rohirrim with that crass man who came with her!”