Chapter Two

"That was such a good movie." I tell Daniel, walking next to him. We had gone to see the new Kevin Hart movie which was absolutely hilarious. I think the date went pretty well, no complaints here. He was a little distant though. You could've thought we were on different dates. He barely talked and there was no touching of hands or anything.

"Yeah, Kevin Hart is funny." He says, his voice kind of monotone. We finally got to where he parked the car in the pitch black night and drove to my house, the whole ride in silence though. When we got to my drive-way he walked me to the door.

"I had a really nice time." I say, smiling at him. He nods in agreement, not looking as thrilled as I was. I ignore the slight questioning side of my brain and grab his hand, intertwining our fingers. "We should do this again sometime."

"Yeah." He mutters, taking his hand from mine. he back of his neck, looking really nervous. I didn't know what to do, I've never had this type of reaction from boys after a date. So I did the only thing I could think of. I grabbed either end of his open button up and pulled him close to me and placed my lips on his. Of course, before it was even 10 seconds in, the kiss was interrupted by the front door opening.

"Don't tell me, Luna. Another one nighter? Dad isn't gonna be happy." Mitchell, my stupid brother's voice sounds, making me roll my eyes. I was about to yell at him when Daniel interjects.

"I, uh- I gotta leave." He waves goodbye, gets in his car and drives off. I stand there, astonished by what just happened.

"Or, maybe not?" Mitch asks, looking just as confused as I am. Did I just get rejected or did he get startled by Mitch? I mean, he didn't kiss me back but he didn't push me away so... what does that mean?

*********

"Hi, Daniel." I greet him, stopping down the hallway as he takes books out of his locker. He looks at me, not with happiness but an emotion I can't place. "You kinda left quickly last night and I never got to thank you for the movie."

"Luna, what are you doing?" He asks me, his voice a little skeptical.

"Well, it is school... so to learn?" I joke, smiling at him. He shakes his head as his eyes narrow.

"No, I mean this. Why are you talking to me?" He rephrases his question. I tilt my head, not really sure why he was asking me that.

"Cause I wanted to thank you and see if you wanted to go out again?" I tell him. He sighs in exhaustion and closes his locker. Fixing his glasses, He looks down at me.

"Listen, I know that you probably lost a bet or something but you don't need to continue to feel bad for me. You may have nothing better to do but I'm not some pity party. Just leave me alone." He sneers, turning around and walking away from me. Everyone in the hall heard him and started to whisper. I look around at all the wandering eyes and glare at them all, instantly shutting them up. I scuff and walk the way I came, stomping to the school exit and sit outside.

'Pity party? Feel bad? What the hell was he talking about? I just wanted to go out on a date! And now he wants me to leave him alone? Did I do something wrong last night that made him angry?' My brain starts to yell in my head. I just sit on a bench outside and put my head between my hands. What the hell just happened?

"What happened? Kelly told me that the nerd had a meltdown in the hall." Tasha asks me, walking outside and sitting next to me. I don't answer her but iic up my head and rest it on her shoulder, tears falling down my face. We stay quiet but she wraps her arms around me and silently comforts me.

********

"Look at him sitting there, scumbag." Tasha growls, glaring holes in the back of Daniel's head in the main cafe. We had skipped our morning classes, got some McDonald's and I told her all about last night and what happened this morning. "I bet he's just so happy with his friends, not even caring that he just broke a girl's heart."

"Tash, I blew it. He thinks I felt bad for him and that's why I went out on a date with him. What can I do about it? I'm such an idiot! I should've known it would go badly." I mumble, my head resting on my hand. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

"Why are you an idiot?" Henry asks me, sitting down next to me with a cereal bar. Tasha glares at Henry and points at him.

"She isn't an idiot. Daniel Hart is. He deserves to get punched in the face." Tasha informs Henry, going back to her session of mentally killing Daniel.

"Oh, did he stand you up?" Henry ass me. I shake my head and feel another tear escape. Henry frowns and takes out his phone, his thumbs moving fast as he texts someone. "Done."

"What did you do?" I ask him, my voice hoarse and my stuffy nose making my voice nasally. I try to look on his phone but he pulls it away. I was about to ask him who he texted when I hear heavy stomping from outside the cafe.

"Where is Daniel Hart?!" I hear a voice boom through the cafe. I turn to the doorway to see Mitch, his face all red and his eyes filled with anger. Everyone in the cafe quiets down as a younger kid points to Daniel's table. I watch the horror lay out as Mitch "fe fi fo fums" over to him as Daniel looks in terror.

"I thought he was in class right now?" Tasha whispers to me. I nod and quickly go back to my brother.

"You Daniel?" Mitch growls, standing in front of a sitting Daniel. He nods at my brother slowly, his whole body shaking. Mitch laughs and runs a hand through his light brown hair, shaking his head. "So, I hear you like to make people feel like assholes?" Daniel quickly shakes his head.

"Are you lying to me?" Mitch asks as Daniel as his eyes get wide with the continuing presence of my brother. Before Daniel could say anything, Mitch takes hold of the collar of his shirt and starts to pull his fist back. I quickly get up and start running towards them.

"Mitchell Jones! Stop right now!" I scream at my brother, almost up to them. Mitch drops his fist and Daniel as I reach them and push Mitch away from Daniel.

"You're lucky she's here, pansy cause if she wasn't, you'd be dead." Mitchell threatens Daniel as I push him away, towards the way he came. I look back at Daniel who looked like a deer caught in headlights. As we reach the exit, Mitch walks away from me down the hall as Tasha and Henry catch up to me.

"This is your fault, isn't it?" I poke Henry in the chest.

"I'm sorry. I just told him to shake him up, not give him PTSD." Henry tells me as I walk down the hallway, opposite the way Mitch went. "On a different note, your brother looks really hot when he's angry. Yumm." Henry admits, winking at me. I try to hold in my laughter but a small chuckle escapes my lips.

"I know right! He was just so... good looking." Tasha purrs, agreeing with Henry.

"YOu guys are so gross. That's my brother." I groan, feeling grossed out. They both start to laugh as we all head outside. Sitting at one of the wooden picnic tables, they regain their composure and stop laughing.

"How much do you wanna bet he'll never talk to Luna again?" Tasha asks Henry. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"Twenty dollars says he apologizes out of fear by next week." Henry tells her.

"You're on." tasha shakes his hand. I shake my head in disapproval of their bet as Henry and Tasha take out their wallets but after a few seconds I take out my wallet.

"If I'm gonna be sad, I might as well make some money on it." I inform them, throwing a twenty at Tasha. "He'll never talk to me again."