Chapter 22.

"Hey, what's up?" Michael asked, sitting down at his usual spot at our lunch table. It had seemed like forever since Michael and I actually had a real conversation with each other. The past few weeks he had been spending a lot of time with Ashton, like he was trying to choose between the two of us.

"Hey." I said quietly. "What's up with you?"

"You're supposed to answer me first." Michael laughed. He ran a hand through his hair, which he had dyed completely black a few weeks ago. It looked a lot better than the pink.

"I'm fine, I guess." I shrugged. Nothing about me was any different than it was on a normal day.

"You and Ashton broke up." Michael stated. He sounded like he was informing me, in case I didn't know Ashton and I were over.

"I know." I nodded.

"Was it because of Luke?" Michael asked, using his elbows to prop himself up on the table.

"I wouldn't say that." I lied.

"Whatever, I always liked you and Luke better than you and Ashton anyway." Michael chuckled.

"Are you serious?" I questioned. "You were the one who got Ashton to ask me out in the first place!"

"That's because he's my friend, I was just encouraging him a little. I thought he was kind of a shitty boyfriend." Michael shrugged.

"He was alright." I said, shrugging as well. I didn't want to completely diss Ashton, but I knew that there are a few things that he could have done better in our relationship.

"Anyway, if it was because you and Luke have a thing then that's cool. You two would make some hot kids." Michael smirked. He leaned back in his chair, looking impressed by the fact that he had just said that.

"Michael," I tried to just let out a deep sigh but ended up laughing.

"Hey, look who it is." Michael spoke, just as Luke set down a can of Coke in front of me.

"Is this for me?" I asked, looking up at him. He nodded silently then pulled up a chair and sat next to me, resting on of his hands on my upper thigh. He used his other hand to support his head, where he stared down at his own bag of chips and Coke that he had placed on the table.

We talked for a few minutes about random things, but Luke didn't move his hand away from his face once. That's when I began to think that something was up.

"What happened to your eye?" I asked, moving Luke's hand away from his face. Right under his eye looked bruised, already a dark blue color. It wasn't enough to make his eye swell shut, but it was definitely enough to leave a mark.

"I, uh, slipped and fell into a cabinet at my house this morning." Luke said quickly, returning his hand to the side of his face.

"Luke," I groaned, knowing that he wasn't telling the truth. Luke had gotten hit in the face, I knew that. I just wasn't sure who had done it.

"I told you before, Stel, I'm pretty clumsy sometimes." Luke gave me a small smile.

"Dude, it looks like someone punched you." Michael chuckled. I had almost forgotten that he was sitting across from us.

"I didn't. I fell, I hit my eye." Luke said harshly. He turned to me, covering up his mouth so Michael couldn't read his lips. "I'll tell you later."

After a few more minutes of us making casual conversation and eating our lunches, Michael decided to speak up.

"So what's the deal with you two? Are you a thing now?" He sat forward, eagerly waiting our responses.

"What?" Luke asked. He turned to me and flashed me a big smile before speaking again. "We're not a thing, we're not even friends."