Chapter Ten: Will

Emily

My only Grandma is dead, gone since I was fourteen. I always avoid talking about her because it hurts too much. I remember her when she was in hospital. She looked so tired, so... fragile. I'd  never seen her look so old. Those memories of her in those last moments will stay with me forever. And yet here she stands, the picture of health. "Wait, but... how?" I stammer out. "Did you really think I was dead Emily dear?" she smiles. "But I saw you, in the hospital. You were dying. How can this be happening?" I ask, and then I run over and hug her. "Grandma I missed you so much! Where did you go?" I gush as I sob into her black coat. "Why, I've been floating around. Now tell me, how long have you been fooling around with werewolves?" she replies sternly, holding me at arm's length and fixing me with a beady stare. "Well, I only just found out yesterday, but Grandma, you should know as well as anyone that love is uncontrollable." I smile, and soon she is laughing with me. "Yes well, me and your grandfather are definite proof of that. Now, what have I missed?" she asks, and I stop walking. "Well, um, Mum and Dad divorced, you died, um, I told my boyfriend I love him and then he turned into a werewolf and tried to dump me but it didn't work, and then you turned out not to be dead. Did I miss anything?" I tellher, and then glance at her shocked face. "Wow, so nothing much then!" she laughs. "But Gran, how did you know about Will? I haven't told anyone, and neither have they." I frown. "Ah but you forget, Granny dearest knows everything!" she smiled. "No really, how did you know?" I ask. "Well darling, the reason I had to fake death was because I am the Keeper." she replied, her face unnaturally serious. "I am the guardian of the packs from ages past. I have presided and cared for over three generations of the wolves. Have you not ever wondered how they could function so well without me? I am their carer. I am also the guardian of the library." she tells me. "Whoa, wait, what library? There's a library?" I ask, stopping again. "Yes sweetie, the library. It contains the knowledge of the packs, every legend and story, and every piece of information about all the werewolves in the area. It's really not that important. Now, as I was saying I have cared for..." she trails off as I stare at her. "Not important? Gran, this could be hugely helpful to Will. If what you say is true then Will might be able to find a cure for all this! Everything could go back to normal. Where's the library?" I ask quickly. "Well, right now it's housed in the Huntington Manor where I live also. It is traditional that the pack live there. I cannot believe they did not know this!" exclaims Grandma as I squeal and hug her, nearly knocking her over.

It's only been two hours, and I'm missing her already. With Emily back where she belongs, life is almost perfect. I'm lying in the grass, thinking of nothing in particular when I see her burst through the trees, towing an old lady behind her. "Hey, back so soon!?" I smile, but she ignores this and plops down beside me, practically brimming with excitement. The old woman is standing over us, scrutinising me in an odd way. "Guess what?!" Emily says happily. "What?" I reply, waiting to hear the joke. And then she surprises me when she introduces the old woman as her Grandma, the one that supposedly died three years ago, but apparently didn't. "It is very nice to meet you young man. Now, you may call me the Keeper or Mona." says Emily's Grandma, holding out a wrinkled hand that has a surprisingly strong grip for someone so old. "Pleased to meet you, but what do you mean by Keeper?" I ask, suddenly suspicious. "Well, Grandma is the Keeper, and she is basically guardian of the packs. She's looked after like, three generations of wolves, and she also presides over this giant library that supposedly has all the pack knowledge ever known!" Emily tells me quickly. Then her Grandma steps forward and takes my hand. "It is also tradition for the pack to live in the place that houses the library. You will no longer have to sleep in the woods, if you so wish it," she says quietly, and she gives me a kind look. I shake her hand firmly and accept the offer, and then Emily and I rush off to tell the others about our new home.