Chapter 9- Pull Yourself Together

His Fake Girlfriend

Chapter 9- Pull Yourself Together

*Sky’s POV*

It was a short encounter reunion with Jeremy’s ex-girlfriend and his cousin Caiden. The minute we all stopped talking and looked away Jeremy pulled me aside and walked with me inside the house. I couldn’t help but notice on the way; Maura had stood up from her seat under the tent and stared at us horrifically.

When we got into the safety of the house, Jeremy pulled me into the living room that was away from the sliding door. He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed, slightly pacing the room, “So, this was uncalled for.” I mumbled, rocking back and forth on my heels while twiddling with my thumbs, “Can you stop pacing you’re freaking me out!” I said in a hush whisper shout.

He stopped, turning around to face me, “You’re freaking out? I’m freaking out! I haven’t seen my ex-girlfriend in three years and you said it yourself she probably hates me for breaking up over the phone.” He pointed out taking deep breaths.

“Well you shouldn’t overwhelm yourself. Maybe she’s moved on, certainly she has if she’s dating again and smiling at you and not punching you in the face or something dramatic.” I tried assuring him. At last he stopped pacing around. I sighed running my fingers through my hair that I just released from its bun minutes ago. “Did she not know that was your cousin?” I questioned.

“No she probably didn’t know. I never brought her to family parties.” He explained sitting on the couch. Well I can tell you first hand some of the reasons why he hasn’t. He’s probably scared that his questionable aunt didn’t drive them away or his grandfather didn’t check them out or his grandmother that pinches cheeks even if you’re eating! “She knows my family, mom, Jill, Julia, Josh, but not that whole family.” He continued rubbing his hands down his face.

I crossed my arms over my chest, nodding my head slowly, and “Caiden doesn’t look our age. Is she-”

“Yes she’s old but that’s not the point here. The point here is my ex-girlfriend is here, my cousin is dating her and you’re here and-”

“You know you’re stressing over something very small, right? It’s not like we haven’t dealt with ex’s before. May I remind you of Jimmy?” I settled down on the couch next to him, “So what if she’s here. Just pretend that she’s not.” I shrugged, “It’s not like you’re obligated to talk to her.”

“You did meet my Aunt Liz, right?” He retorted. Ah, I get it now; he doesn’t want to be question about his previous relationship with Caiden’s girlfriend. Yeah, I’d feel awkward too.

“It’s as simple as this, don’t answer her questions.” He looked at me with a bored look like I had to be kidding him. I sighed running my hands down my face, “What do you want then Jer? Do you want to leave? Let’s leave then.” I offered pointing to the door.

“No I’m not going to leave. Then everyone will think I have a problem with her being here.” He mumbled leaning back on the couch, “I just don’t know what to do.” He whispers licking his lips.

“Well you’re not going to find the answers by sitting in here avoiding the problem.” I told him. He sat up straight looking at me in the eyes with sudden amusement. That should scare anyone.

“You’re right.” He moaned, “I hope this isn’t weird for you.”

“Why should it be?” I asked shrugging my shoulders.