Is to was

(Willow’s P.O.V)

I woke up today, knowing that this was going to be my day. It was the day of the boys try outs, and I knew it was going to be tuff.

I put on my new pink Nike singlet (just to let the boys know I’m a girl, in case they hadn’t noticed!) and my short black running shorts. With my hair already in the braids from last night, I was good to go after only 20 minutes.

I started walking to the soccer field, and the further I walked, the more anxious I got. I started to think, what are the boys going to think of me, trying to get into THEIR team when I already had one? But I told myself, that if I got into the team because I had better skill then them, they don’t deserve to be on the team.

So when I neared the field, I had my head up high, and my chest puffed out like I knew I had the right to be there.

When I started walking over, I could already notice all the glares and looks of surprises I was getting.

I acted as if I didn’t notice and sat down on the cool green grass, near the main group to put on my purple Nike boots (if you haven’t noticed yet, I love Nike!) and to start stretching.

I heard some of the whispers going around, but I tried to act like I didn’t care.

Soon after, Coach Collin’s walks out and calls everyone in. Looking around, I saw about 20 people, which meant 4-5 people were going to be cut.

I also noticed a certain Mr Hottie Hottie Hot Hot. My mouth nearly hit the ground. Why was he here! He seemed to be thinking the same things as me because he had a look of shock on his face too.

I turned away from him, cause I didn’t want him to know that it was me (even though I knew he saw me, but still, I didn’t want to attract him over so I looked like I was busy doing something else), when Coach started talking.

“Okay crew, defenders and goalies this half,” Pointing to the left “and mids and forwards this way please” .pointing to the right. He had a very gruff voice but he was only 30 and he was fit, you could just tell.

I moved to the left of the group with the rest of the defenders and forwards. I tried to collect myself and act like I was meant to be there, but it was hard.

All these boys towered over me and they were all so muscular! I have played in a boy’s team for 13 years and have never felt scared before, but these were not boys.

These were tanks of just muscle, and I didn’t know how someone so short like me was going to up against them.

In a spur of the moment, I remembered a song:

I’m always pushing myself to the limit

making sure I stay ahead

you made me who I am, from the words you said

Some people have to learn

some people wait their turn

some people but not me

I was born a champion

Some people have to fight

some people give their lives

some people don’t believe

I was born a champion

Feeling inspired to give everything I had, to show the boys that I deserved to be on this team, I decided that I would make this team, if it was the last thing I did.

Our manager for our team, Ron, told us that we would be doing a series of drills not stop, in a circular rotation for over 30 minutes. If we decided to sit down before those 30 minutes were up, we were disqualified for making the team.