Chapter VI - The Arrest

Start from the beginning

J. J. felt that churning in her stomach again but it wasn’t because of her siblings or her friends. The idea seemed too close to something Bam had mentioned.

“What part of this revolution do you want Phoenix Corporation to play?”

Zimmerman sat back in his seat and pulled out a digi-board. It had a layout of a new contract between the corporations and a spot for J. J. to place her finger at the bottom to make the change official.

“What is this?”

“It’s our new agreement. Your programs are the heart and soul of the Masterson Corporation cyborgs and we want to be a much larger part of the development process.”

J. J. read the agreement over quickly and then laughed. She thought at first it was a joke but as she looked to the men and their stale faces, she found they were completely serious.

“A larger part? This contract will mean you are taking over the company! I am not up for sale, gentlemen.” She pushed the board back to him.

Zimmerman laughed as he then stood and placed a hand on her shoulder, holding the board before her face now.

“We don’t want to take full control. The people feel safe seeing Phoenix Corporation logos on our androids. You will stay on and make public announcements and essentially take full credit for software development. You aren’t just a corporation to them, you are like a family. We still want that from you.”

He continued to hold the board in front of her face. J. J. looked over the board again quickly before catching sight of something odd. On the wrist of Zimmerman, just under his overpriced watch, was a strange, scar. It looked almost like a tribal marking. When she had seen it, she only felt the pain in her stomach grow worse.

J. J. stood quickly and pushed the board away. She then smiled and grabbed the back of her chair. She knew she needed to get the men out of there fast without giving a direct answer. Something inside of her knew not to say no and yet she would have rather let a ship run over her than to say yes.

“You boys pose an intriguing offer,” Zimmerman smiled as the other men also expressed signs of joy on their faces, “But it is a big decision to make all at once. I suggest we throw a shareholder’s brunch next Tuesday so I can call the board members in and explain to them the proposition. I suspect everyone will be on board but I am a people pleaser and this is simply how I do business.”

They were silent for a moment. Craig was obviously not satisfied she did not jump to agree but he nodded his head all the same.

“Next Tuesday, 10 a.m. sharp. And Jocelyn,” She looked at him dead in the eyes as chills ran down her spine, “I am excited for the future of this company.”

She smiled and watched the men allow themselves out. She watched them until their elevator left down the shaft. Before turning, she watched as two separate elevators then opened and a detective, as well as a police unit came onto her floor.

Turning quickly to her receptionist, she caught the girls attention from answering calls by unplugging her phone.

“Hold all of my calls. Tell security to alert you if anyone else requests to see me. Understood?”

The tiny girl nodded her head rapidly as the detective walked up to her. He was equal in height with her with dark hair and a small goatee.

“Miss Phoenix, I am glad I caught you at a good time. I am Detective Sky from the IMPD. I have a few questions to ask you about your brother and his friend, Roderick Zane.”

“I already spoke with the IMPD about my brother and the ridiculous accusations of a terrorist android.” She stated as she turned and walked back in the room which had transformed again into a CEO office. She sat behind the desk as the man sat before it and the police droid stood.