Chapter Three

Terrena sat on her bed, slowly drawing the laces through the boots she would be wearing to dinner while Rhaya fussed with her hair. The Duillaine had requested their presence for the second night in a row and insisted they begin dressing their parts as future rulers of the worlds. Rhaya didn't seem to mind the dresses as much as Zelene did, but Terrena felt more uncomfortable than she let on.

"Does Leone have to escort us to this meeting too?" Rhaya asked, not hiding her disdain at the idea.

"No, I don't believe he does. But he is our father, Rhaya. It's his duty to escort us in and announce us during formal occasions until we get married."

"Until they marry us off," Rhaya corrected. "Last time I checked, we don't get any say in the matter."

"Of course we do," Terrena argued and stood up. She walked over to where her sister stood, in front of the full length mirror in her room. "They aren't going to shove us into the arms of just anyone, you know. They are still our parents, and our happiness matters to them."

"Then what's with all the theatrics? Even a simple dinner to meet the rest of our family turned into some kind of parade."

Terrena picked up a comb from the dresser and started pinning Rhaya's dark hair back. "I'd say it was more of a practice run, to get us used to the idea of being presented. Personally, I'm more used to hiding and hoping no one notices me, so the idea of standing before crowds is going to take some adjustment."

Rhaya's attitude quickly shifted to sympathy. "It must have been so hard for you. Always on the run. Alone."

Terrena bristled at Rhaya's pity. She could tell that her sister was reading her emotions, and she didn't appreciate the intrusion. "I had Kenward, just as you had Raemann."

"I had Isauria. I suppose, in a way, Isauria had you," Rhaya mused. "Since she dreamt about you, I mean."

"How is Isauria doing? I understand she has a better hold on her ability since she was overcome before."

Rhaya nodded. "I haven't been by to see her much. When I do, she's usually off . . . seeing, or whatever you call the verb of her gift. Watching? Ghosting? Ultimate stalking?" She grinned when Terrena laughed. "What? What Isauria can do is a little creepy. It was fun when she was just stuck with Ariana, but now she can pop in on any of us. It's weird. Don't tell me you weren't weirded out a little when you found out she'd been seeing you all those years."

"Yes and no," Terrena answered honestly. In truth, had she known then, it would have brought her much comfort. "It's nice to think I was connected to her still even though she was literally worlds away from me. But there are some things I'd rather not have anyone know."

Rhaya looked at her knowingly. "I can understand that. It's easier to hide your heartbreak when no one else knows about it."

Terrena shifted uncomfortably, reminded once more that thanks to Isauria's dreams and their friendship on Dhara, Rhaya already knew much more about her life than she liked. "Not when you have a sister who is an empath. Stop using your ability on me. It's rude."

Rhaya flushed. "Sorry. It's sort of automatic."

Terrena finished with her sister's hair and took a step back to admire her work. Rhaya's raven locks were pulled back, with small braids wrapping around her head and framing a loose bun. She'd chosen a deep ultramarine gown framed by a silver corset, and she looked absolutely exquisite. Terrena felt positively plain standing next to her younger sister.

"You look absolutely beautiful, Rhaya," Terrena said. "We should go. If memory serves, punctuality is something our mother holds in high esteem."

They rushed off to the meeting room on the second floor of Anamlar. The Duillaine were already seated at a round table. Terrena loved the idea of a round table, just like the ones King Arthur had used during his reign on Cargan centuries before. However, this table was so large that it almost negated the idea of sitting amongst equals. The Duillaine were on one side, seated close together, and the only other chairs were directly across from them, leaving a big gap in between.