“You’re hurt,” I told her, taking a step closer.

“Don’t touch me!” She snapped, letting out a string of curse words in between growls.

“I’m just trying to help you.”

“After everything you did to me?” She cried.

I was surprised when she broke down sobbing in front of me. I wasn’t expecting that. I looked around the area, wishing for someone to appear and help me handle the situation.

Seeing Hanna there, in a heap on the floor, tore at my heart. If only she knew how much I wanted to slump myself on the ground, and cry along with her.

“I didn’t…”

“This is all your fault! Zev left me because of you. He loves you, and he blamed me for what Liam did to you!” Hanna said in broken words, while she continued to cry.

“Liam is dead,” I mumbled, the words still feeling strange in my mouth.

“He’s… dead?” Hanna slowly asked. She seemed surprised with the news. If only for a moment, she sobered up, and looked at me with dark, haunted eyes.

“That is your fault too!”

I looked down at my hands. I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks, leaving a tingling sensation over my skin. A part of me wanted to break down sobbing too. It would make me feel slightly better, but I felt that wouldn’t be fair to Liam.

Hanna was right. It had been my fault. It was all my fault. But accepting that only made me feel worse.

I was in the middle of an inner battle with myself, when Hanna lunged at me. She had shifted into her Wolf.

I wasn’t expecting her attack. It was a complete surprise, but I didn’t push her away when she landed over me. Hanna’s Wolf easily covered my entire body. She was stronger than me. Even if she hadn’t been, I wasn’t really putting too much effort to shove her away.

I had never considered death.

I had never thought about it. But I was too depressed and too far gone, to even want to react to what was happening.

I could’ve easily pushed Hanna away, but I didn’t.

She was on top of me, snapping her teeth in my face, but wanting to get the final bite down on my neck. I had noticed that was like a Wolf code. All of them always went for the kill by biting off each other’s throats.

I found it strange that in my last moments, I was thinking about how Wolves fought. It was a nice way to go— thinking about Wolves and by the hand of a Wolf.

Wolves were intriguing to me. Finding Wolves had been a huge moment in my life. Because of them, I had considered myself less of a freak in a world dominated by humans. But Wolves were destructive. And in the end, they turned out to be more different from me than even humans were.

I was ready for the final bite to come, for Hanna to finish it off. It was what she wanted, and it seemed like it was what I wanted too, but it never came.

When I opened my eyes, I noticed that Hanna and I were surrounded. While I had drifted away in my thoughts, Layton and Zev, along with other Wolves had appeared around of us.

They had us circled, enclosing Hanna and me in. Hanna’s eyes roamed around the area, before she looked down at me. She didn’t speak, but her dark eyes said it all for me.

I nodded at her, giving her permission to go for it. I felt like I had nothing else to lose. And Hanna did it, she went for it.

She was so close to me, I could feel her breath fanning across my face. She was about to bite down and finish it all, but Zev was faster than her.