Part Seventy: Surprises as Mitt meets Gerry and Greg meets Walt!

This chapter is dedicated to @Riksta10001in celebration of the publication of two of his Sky City novels on Leanpub. Wishing him every success for abundant sales. The websites where they can be checked out and where comments can be left are :

https://leanpub.com/skycitytheriseofanorphan

https://leanpub.com/skycityonemansfreedomfighter

                                     *    *    *

Part Seventy

A/N: apologies to those reading on 'phones and devices for the length of this chapter! I am running out of chapters and need to use those remaining cautiously- which means filling them out more! Now read on:-

Timeline: 11:28 : Mitt Fawley’s Office, Fawley Grain and Feed.

Mitt Fawley sat at his desk. His old, rickety swivel chair creaked and groaned in protest as he twisted his bulk vigorously to left and then to right, gloating about his display of supremacy over Walt Kempster.  Fawley’s feelings ranged widely as he and the complaining chair oscillated from side to side. A wave of enormous pleasure rose within him at the thought of asserting his dominion over Walt. His reverie reached its crescendo in a thrilling tingle at which time he turned to the only decoration in the room, a photograph of his hero, the 70th Governor of Massachusetts, to say. “That told him who’s the boss Mitt! He’ll not forget this day in a hurry.” 

Fawley forced a loud laugh that faded when his egoist passions nose-dived as the practical consequences of his recent actions seeped into his consciousness. ‘Walt’s gone for good. He’ll not be there anymore. But Walt’s always been around.’ His warm glow of euphoria dissipated into a chill twinge of fear.

The sound of a car’s tyres crunching the gravel outside the front of his office distracted his attention. Mitt sat up in his chair to peer through the dust-clouded window and recognised the general manager’s Ford Mercury on its way out of the plant. The long hair of the driver told him Trish was driving and he assumed the shape sitting next to her had to be the sacked Walt. His lips formed a crooked grin as he waved and spoke to his hero’s photograph on the wall.

“No problems, nothing to worry about. Trish’s there for me now.”

With his confidence restored he decided to tackle the people at the condo for himself, leaving his office with another parting quip at the photograph of his idol.

“Time to show ‘em all how it should be done, eh Mitt?”

                                               *   *  *

Fawley approached the condo from the direction of the I-80 and the Truck Stop. He saw the big Pole standing in the yard looking down at something, but his view below the man’s waist was obstructed by the clipped boundary hedging and so did not see the children playing at the man’s feet.

 Fawley approached too fast, making a violent turn as the road turned sharply left in front of the condo. The car rode over the kerbstone, screeching to a halt against the hedging bushes.

“Hey, you be careful, the road is for parking.” Gerry’s plaintive cry landed on deaf ears as Mitt exited the car and strode through the dust cloud he had created into the yard. He flapped his hand in front of his face as if cleaning the air before he breathed it. He saw the children playing in the dirt, looking up at him with big, questioning eyes. Mitt’s attention was drawn instantly to Gerry who walked towards him, his face fierce and gesturing angrily at the badly parked car. 

“That not for parking, That private prop’ty. You damage bushes, you pay.”

Gerry’s remonstrance brought Fawley to a state of instant anger.