Chapter 15: Misread Exteriors

Hey guys! Sorry for the longish wait I've had a lot this week between many tests, quizes, softball, and sweet sixteens! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed and tell me what you think of the chapter! There might be a few mistakes with spacing and words pushed together because of this darn Wattpad button for spaces that always screws up my chapter, but oh well!

Smooches,

Kat

~Hell had you by the throat, you never got to Heaven but you got real close. Your past has you in the choke hold, but you deserve it from what I've been told. ~You call my bluff, say what do you want. ~Leave the scene smelling of dead roses.

*******************************************************************

It was the middle of the night and I had woken up to get a glass of water, from a sleep I didn't recall, when I heard a rustling in the living room. I froze, hand on the door knob, and with tired eyes squinted through the darkness.

"Hello?" I questioned to no-one in particular.

"Faith," my Mother's voice slurred out immediately into the darkness. I let out a small sigh of relief. I had forgotten Marcy and her were passed out on the couch. "Faith," she repeated with more rasp and coughed a few times.

I hurried into the living room and flipped on the light to see that Marcy was practically off the couch, mouth wide open. I thought she was positively dead, until she let out a loud snore. My Mother was sitting up straight on the couch, her eyelids droopy, and her head swaying back and forth.

" Are you ok?" I whispered to her.

She looked up at me with a dazed expression and pointed at her throat. "Water."

I didn't hesitate with a response."Sure thing. Do you want some medicine?"

"No," she got out, still holding her forehead.

With soft steps, I hurried over to the kitchen sink and filled a crisp, clear glass with the cold water and came back filled with worry. My Mother gulped down the entire contents before releasing her head and moaning.

"I'm so sorry," she blurted, placing the glass on the table. At first, I thought she was apologizing for something entirely different, until she looked up at me, tears in her eyes. "I shouldn't have drank anything, I must have said so many things I didn't mean. I don't even remember... I should have called, baby. But I just missed you so much--"

"Mom, it's alright," I interrupted, grasping her warm hand in mine.

"No," she said, shaking her head and then staring intently at the coffee table. "It's not. I...I came over here to tell you something very important. I remember now...I didn't...I didn't just come over here to see you," she got out slowly. Her eyebrows knit together as she tried to focus and ended up closing her eyes."Oh God, it was so important I didn't sleep a wink the entire week. Why can't I remember?" She started to bite her finger nails.

Could it be about Death? What if she has something to tell me about the deal they made? Was there a part of it I never saw? Was it all a lie?

I opened my mouth to respond when I remembered what Death had told me. He told me never, ever, to tell anyone about him, or else he would make me pay.

I debated to just ask her anyways. I bite my tongue at the image of Death ripping my Mother's throat out and then taking her soul.

I have to stop watching horror shows!