Chapter 4

His Cowboy Temptation [ManxMan]

|Chapter 4|

Luca stared at the gray clouds that were coming in from the east. A storm was coming but they still had a few more hours before it started to rain. Turning to look out at the many acres of land that rolled before him he wondered how strong the storm would be. Severe thunderstorms weren't unusual during the summer but the disasters they left behind could cripple a ranch for several weeks.

Surveying the property with Max was the main job for today. They would make sure the fences were bolted down tight, no trees were too dry that if lightening struck they would catch fire and the barrier for the river was in place in case of a flood.

At the moment Luca was checking the trees, alone. Max was down by the river checking the barrier. It had been a week since their almost kiss and so far Luca had managed to maintain his distance from Max. He knew the way he found any excuse to get away from the man wasn't as graceful as he would have liked but having to spend everyday with Max wasn't helping Luca's cause to keep a safe distance.

The looks Max gave him each time he left let him know the man knew what he was up to. Max wasn't stupid and had probably already figure out Luca's motives as well. But he never commented on it and he never tried to stop Luca from leaving. A part of Luca wished Max would say something that way Luca would have to confront the feelings he was having for his boss' grandson.

He had only known the man for a week! How could he have feelings for him? But Luca knew how. It was in the way Max treated his grandfather, with respect and love, in the way he gave his all to the work on the ranch even though it was obvious he didn't like it, and the way he tried to give everything in life a positive outlook, even what happened in his past that left him scarred he tried to turn into something to grow from not be crippled by.

Max was an amazing man with a giant heart and Luca found it more and more difficult every day to keep up his cool facade. Every second he spent with Max chipped away at the wall Luca had created around himself and Luca wasn't sure if there was enough left to defend him. He needed to rebuild it fast, though, because getting involved with a man who would be gone in a week was a very bad idea. Luca needed to keep his mask of indifference on for one more week and then Max would go back to the city and he could go back to trying to get his ranch and all would be as it should be.

Hopefully.

The sound of hoof beats behind him made Luca turn and see Max riding up to him. His hair was windblown and the opened, black, button up shirt he was wearing billowed behind him like a mini cape. As Shadow came to a halt next to Cinnamon Luca couldn't help but notice how Max's jeans pulled tight across his thighs as he sat atop his horse, showing a perfect outline of his lean muscled legs.

"The river barrier is secure." Max informed him.

Luca nodded, "Good, the trees look good out here, too."

"You know," Max said turning to look at him, "That barrier at the river is good for holding back a small amount of water only. If there's ever a major flood that thing wouldn't be able to take the pressure. I think I'll call Micah and have him draw up a design for a better barrier to help keep more water out. What do you think?"

"Micah?" Luca asked. Hearing Max say another man's name so casually made a sour taste come to Luca's mouth. Max had said he didn't have a girlfriend back in New York but maybe he forgot to mention his boyfriend.

"My partner," Max replied and hastily added, "My business partner. We co-own a construction company. Micah is the brawn and I'm the brains, at least that's how he puts it."