Chapter One

Only two years since the war ended and everything is back to normal. Kinda... 

Okay, you remember when you sat in history class, doodling in you notebook, the day your teacher was talking about World War 1, World War 2, and the Cold War? Remember how you started paying attention with the discussion of the Cold War? No? Well, this is how it usually went: 

~~~~ 

You're sitting at your desk, drawing when you hear an interesting question: 

"So, Mr. Jones, bombs were made? And people almost died?" asks the pimply skater boy to your left. 

"Yes... And no," replied Mr. Jones, looking as if he needs more coffee. "Bombs were created. And if Russia would've attacked America - or vise versa - the bombs would've killed everything... Luckily, Russia grew up." 

"And what would happen if Russia only pretended to grow up?" continued the skater. 

"We'd all die, of course. As soon as they fix the bombs, that is," said Mr. Jones with a sigh. 

"Fix them?" asks a girl across the room that you faintly recognize with a thick British accent. "What do you mean?" 

"The bombs have been lying dormant for quite some times," Mr. Jones explains. When the class idiot in the back row raises his hand, Mr. Jones already has his answer ready. "Dormant means sleeping or non-active." 

You drop you pencil when a question pops into your head and swear under your breath when the British girl speaks before you can even take a breath. 

"Will Russia change it's mind, do you think?" 

"There is a chance," says Mr. Jones, thinking carefully about his answer. "But I cannot think of a reason for Russia to change it's mind and attack." 

"But Russia is a strange country, Mr. Jones. It has been known to change it's mind very quickly before," the girl persists. 

"You students talk like you want the world to end!" exclaims Mr. Jones. "But no matter. It won't happen. I promise you," continues the teacher, rereading his lesson plan to figure out where to go from there. "So, class, why do you think...." 

But you'd already stopped paying attention and started doodling again, one question circling your mind: 

How long will it take for Russia to change it's mind? 

~~~~ 

Remember that? No? Well, that's how it usually went. Yes, went. Not goes. Now, we have no more school. We have no more jobs. We have nothing.