The Cloud Who Saved Icarus from Falling (A Review of Icarus)

In greek mythology, Icarus is known for his story in attempting to conquer the sky; yet failed and fall in the sea.

In the story of binibininghannah in wattpad, Icarus; Miguel, the main character saw his self as Icarus. If you directly check the story of Icarus to Miguel, the story is very different.

Icarus in the mythology try to escape from Crete using the wings which his father Daedalus made. The wings is made form feathers and wax. Before Icarus fly, his father warned him not to fly close to the sun nor to the sea. However during his fly, Icarus was fascinated on the beauty of the sky or in particular, the sun. He ignored the instruction of his dad that leads to melting of wax on his wings. Yes, he fall into the sea and unfortunately he was drowned. Because of his ambition to conquer the sky, he fell and he died.

On the contrary, the story of Miguel doesn’t end in a tragic way. The author compares love to ambition to life of Icarus. Miguel in the story fell in love with his long-time bestfriend, Jam.

Jam during that time was under the stage of moving on after their failed love story (see Two Hours More). Jam in the first three chapters I guess was still in love to his former boyfriend who died becaues of kidney cancer a years ago.

It was also written in the story how Miguel see Jam as his sun: that the more he insist to get closer; the more he will fall. Miguel tried everything to pleased Jam wherein that time, Jam see him only as her bestfriend.

But as the verse 1 Corinthians 13:4 says, Love is patient… In lhe latter part, Jam who seems to be his sun turned into cloud. The cloud that catched Icarus. The cloud that saved Miguel from falling.

I never expect that the story will end in happy ending since the title of it was Icarus who has a tragic ending but one thing I admire to this story is the perception of Miguel about love.

Aside from using the bible description of love in 1 Corinthians 13; 4-7, Migs define his love to Jam as persistent love; that without all the trials he’ve been through, he can never win her heart. His faith about love doesn’t fade unlike the wings of Icarus that melts.

If you want to read the story checked this link:

http://www.wattpad.com/14577212-icarus