Chapter Thirteen (Revised)

Alex and I stared at each other for a moment too long before we managed to look away at the same time. I couldn’t stop myself from looking back at him almost immediately. It was an impulse that was beyond my control. He glanced at Ben, which made me glance at Ben. If he was aware of the very palpable tension, he didn’t give it away. Instead he gave Alex a wide smile and said, “What’s goin on Alex?”

Whatever had kept Alex from approaching us ceased to affect him and he strolled over with an air so casual it had to be fake. Granted it didn’t look fake, but there was no way he could be that relaxed, at least not when my heart was beating so hard that it felt like it might beat right out of my chest. The idea that he was already impervious to our situation should’ve made me happy, instead it made my stomach turn.

He stopped next to the center of the side of the table and gave Ben an easy going smile.

“Not much, I was just keeping with my usual routine. Jog, breakfast, digest and jog again. I tried running on a full stomach once… No bueno.”

“That’s kind of a long way isn’t it?”

“Only five miles.”

“Only?” I choked.

Alex sent me a lopsided smile. “Just because your version of exercise is watching people run on Cops doesn’t mean that I share the same sentiment.”

Just as I was about to stick my tongue out at him, the door to the kitchen swung open and Mrs. McGrady came out with a huge tray.

“Do you plan on standing the whole meal? Have a seat, you’re in my way.”

“Sorry Mrs. McGrady,” he replied repentantly.

I automatically scooted over to make room for him, only realizing how bad of an idea that was when his scent wafted in my direction. Even after five miles of running, he still smelled good. In fact, he smelled downright delicious. A perk I wished that I had and wished Alex didn’t have even more.

He sat down casually and pulled up his sleeves, clearly still immune to the weird chemistry between us. It wasn’t fair that he moved on faster than I could say “Ambesol” while I was busy taking one step forward and two steps back. I shifted uncomfortably in the booth as Mrs. McGrady leaned across the table to set a fresh plate of cinnamon apple pancakes, fried potatoes and scrambled eggs. It smelled like I’d died and gone to heaven.

“How’d you remember that this was my favorite?” I breathed, temporarily forgetting every problem I had.

“How could I forget? You came at least once a week until you moved.”

“Then how’d you know I had a craving for blueberry pancakes?” Ben hedged. He didn’t even bother to wait for us. A forkful of pancakes was already making a beeline for his mouth.

Mrs. McGrady chuckled. “I have no excuse for that. I just knew. The three of you are creatures of habit, even if this one won’t admit it.”

She patted Alex’s shoulder lovingly, giving him the same look my grandmother used to give me. It made my heart ache until I looked down at his plate and burst out laughing. Ben looked at me like I was crazy until I pointed at Alex’s plate. He joined me in my maniacal laughter while Alex shot us both a look of annoyance.

“Cállate(shut up) or I’ll make you both suffer.”

I tried my best to stop laughing and eventually I did, but every time I looked over at his Mickey Mouse shaped chocolate chip pancakes, I started right back up again. He grumbled his irritation while simultaneously making quick work of Mickey’s ears so that it looked like a regular pile of pancakes.