Chapter Sixteen - Locks & Chains & Deaths, Oh My!

~Chapter Sixteen - Locks & Chains & Deaths, Oh My!~

******RAINE’S POV******

Darkness.

            That’s what I was met with when I opened my eyes.

            My whole body ached, and I sat up and looked around, blinking rapidly in the hopes of adjusting my eyes to the sudden dimness. My head throbbed, and I let out a low groan, rubbing my forehead.

            I combed back through my memory to try and piece together what had happened and how I had ended up here—wherever that was.

            I remembered the lights going off in the library, then screaming as hands wrapped around my waist and pulled me into a tight, muscled body. I remember screaming, and then a splitting pain in my head before I was plunged into complete darkness.

            And then waking up here.

            I sat up and groaned slightly as my head throbbed painfully again, feeling like fire in my skull. I tried to shakily stand, and screamed in pain as I fell back down. My ankle had given out a sharp pang, signaling it was either broken, sprained, or severely twisted.

            As I sat up and clutched my head, my eyes began to adjust to the dim lighting. My eyes scoured the place, which looked to be an abandoned office or a neatly organized storeroom. Something to that effect.

            There was a desk sitting there, with papers haphazardly strewn around it. A phone hung completely off the desk, suspended in the air by a spiral cord, and a computer screen had been knocked over. There was a sharp crack through the expensive screen.

            Up on the wall were a couple of pictures framed. There was one of a little boy with ears that stuck out, curly red hair and freckles. His two front teeth were missing, and he was smiling happily at the camera as he licked a vanilla ice cream.

            Another one was of a man and an auburn-haired woman who wore a tight red dress and strappy black heels. They had their arms around each other, with the little boy from the other picture standing in front of them. I gathered that to be the man’s wife and child.

            The next photo was completely indistinguishable?

Why, you might ask?

Because it was completely covered in a thick substance that was unidentifiable.

I hobbled over to the picture, ignoring the sharp pain my ankle emitted, and slowly swiped my index finger across the picture. When I drew it back, I stared at my finger. Due to the lighting, I couldn’t distinguish the color. It seemed to be a reddish-brown, but I couldn’t tell.