Chapter Forty: I Love You

My feet were aching in my shoes, I couldn’t even go straight anymore but I still kept running. My hair was whipping around, slowly breaking free of the pins that held it back, and the people that were stuck in traffic were surely staring at me.

I mean, who wouldn’t stare at a girl running down the sidewalk in a graduation gown?

Frankly, I don’t care because the only thing going in my head is that I’m going to make it.

“We’re graduating in a few hours,” Lillian said as if she can’t believe it.

Annabelle, who was laying down on her stomach on Jessica’s bed, finally lifted her head from the magazine she was reading and let out a sigh, “Four years flew by so quickly.”

Jessica nodded in agreement, drying her wet hair with a white towel, “Seems only like yesterday we were running around trying to find our way in school.”

I stared blankly at the muted television inside Jessica’s room. My vision was blurred, I can’t see anything that was playing. I just made it look like I was paying attention.

Since it was our last day before graduating, the girls decided that we should have a sleepover just for old time’s sake. So here we are, gathered in Jessica’s room, all of us have showered and are presentable enough to make sure we didn’t scare anyone outside.

“House crash!” somebody yelled from downstairs and we were pretty sure it was none of the Oliver Household.

Pounding footsteps ran up the stairs and appeared at my best friend’s doorway was none other than Lucas and Blake Smith, holding up cans of beer.

The girls laughed at their antics but I only stared numbly at the beer in Blake’s hand. Somehow, I got drunk at their party and when I woke up, Drew was there beside me. I had no recollection of what happened the night before but I knew something was up; he was looking at me with such expectant eyes when he drove me home.

“How did you get in anyways?”

Blake grinned and lifted a key, jiggling it at our faces, “Jessica’s mother trusts me too much.”

Jessica rolled her eyes but she didn’t deny it.

“I didn’t bring this here for nothing,” Lucas stated, gesturing to the beer cans.

“Beer at such an hour in the morning?” Annabelle questioned with a raised brow while shaking her head, “It’s too early for that.”

“Only one per person,” Lucas assured, tossing each of us a can, “Just a little way of celebrating.”

“You always celebrate with alcohol,” Lillian pointed out but taking a sip of their alcoholic drink, “Right Celeste?”

I stared at the can in my hands and twirled it around. There was moisture outside and it was still cold to the touch. What happened while I was knocked out?

“Celeste?” Jessica shook my shoulder lightly, bringing me back to reality.

I blinked a few times before my eyes regained their focus. Jessica’s worried face was the first thing that came into view before I saw the concerned looks my friends were giving me.

“Just nervous for my speech later,” I excused, laughing uneasily. They nodded in understanding but they still kept stealing glances to my direction.

Because I was both the valedictorian and the out coming student body president, I had to prepare myself for a speech. It was at the back of my head but since I brought it up again, my head is more occupied than ever.