Teen Smackdown Pt. 3

Jamie

I was hiding my phone under the desk. I was texting Mason. I was on the third floor and he was on the first. Ten more mintutes.Summer. I texted while looking up every so often. A new message notice flashed across my screen.

I need to tell you something important. Meet me by my locker after school.

I wondered what he wanted to tell me. Or maybe he wanted to give me something. That would be just like him. He was so sweet and I was lucky to have him. I wasn't very good with relationships. I thought back to two years ago. Stupid Marissa. She deserved everything she got served. We- Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggggg!

Ok, I thought, If I can go fast enough then I can meet Mason, then meet Maria upstairs and she won't even notice. I was pushing through all the people and I spotted him. Standing there in all of his beautiful glory. Well from my point of view. If you had asked Maria she would've scrunched up her nose and said "No comment" . We definitely had different taste in guys. Which isn't that bad since we'd probably never have the typical best-friends-fight-over-the-same-guy-and-have-a-huge-meltdown episode. I had to agree though.

Mason and I did make a very odd couple. We'd been in a relationship for about five months and I couldn't see us breaking up in the near future. We were both about 5'5" and that's about where our similarities ended.

Where I was full and curvy, he was pretty skinny. Not in an anorexic way but in a natural way. I also had those days where sitting in front of the tv, watching a good show sounded like heaven.Those days tended to be the days Mason was bursting with energy and hyperactivity. Don't get me wrong, I loved to have a good time but there were the days I felt to tired to do anything. Everyone has those days.

But finally summer was here. I smile as I'm walking down the halls thinking about the parties, lazy days, walks through the park, beaches. I stopped old when I got to him. It was the look on his face that told me something was really off. My heart started pounding.

"Hey Mace, uhm...what's up?" It came out shy and frightened.

There was silence. I was waiting, getting sort of anxious because I knew Maria would be mad at me if I was super late to meet her. He finally murmured something. "Mason, would you please speak up? There are about 500 students going by us and they sound like a stampede of elephants."

He grabbed my hand and led me downstairs to a little spot behind one of the staircases. It had been where we'd first started talking and had been our meeting spot between classes.

"Jamie I've been tortured daily by this and I've thought a lot about it but...Uh..." He rubbed the back of his neck. A telltale sign he was nervous. "I think we should break up."

I felt the breath go out of me. My heart was going a million miles a minute.

"You think or you know we should break up?" I was freaking out but there was no way I was going to let him see it.

"I guess I know we should break up?" He said it like a question.

"Why?" I demanded.

"Well, we've been seeing each other for five months. Aren't you getting tired of me?" He laughed a little awkwardly.

"How can you joke about this?" I could feel my face getting red and my vision blurring a little at the edges. I would not cry in front of this jerk. And here I thought he was the perfect boy. I was really getting worked up. "Here I thought I had finally found a decent guy. For God's sake!"

He wouldn't look up from his feet. "What? What aren't you telling me?" It came out a little breathless. He talked to his feet. "Excuse me but my face is up here. Either look the hell up or talk louder."

He tilted his head up a little and said the words that began my summer. "Jamie, I'm really sorry but I met another girl. I cheated on you."