Plan Z

Kate leaned into Alex’s shoulder. She dozed in the odd, alien-like sunlight Ireland had to offer this summer. Alex ran his hand through her light brown hair. She looked up to him with her greyish blue eyes sleepily and her head bobbed up and down with the trains movements.

“It was nice of Cole to let you come this year,” Alex said to her. His green-blue eyes were shaded by his long, emo style brown hair as he looked down to her. She nodded.

“You still ok with this?” he said.

“Well, there’s no going back now,” she smiled. She closed her eyes and started resting. His friends opposite him, Jack and Christian, were nudging each other and looking at Alex with a smile big enough to fill the carriage. Jack’s glasses moved down his face slightly and he pushed them back to place over his greyish eyes. He composed himself and flicked across his windswept-like hair. Christian still smiled at Alex and gave him a mischievous look with his blue eyes.

“Player,” he whispered. Alex was sure Kate had heard him, but she still lay against him silently. These friends were going to Connemara to stay with another friend, Cole, for about two weeks. The boys were 16, but Kate was a few months younger, so was still 15. They were on a train to Galway station that left from Heuston Station in Dublin.

“I can’t believe we were invited for two weeks this time!” Christian exclaimed.

“Me neither, this year is going to be great!” Jack said.

“I bet this will be the best year,” Alex said. Jack and Christian smiled again. Alex drew a line with his finger down the middle of his head, looking like he had a pain in his head. He gave them a look that said ‘not like that’. The two nodded sarcastically and sat back into their seats.

“I’m gonna sleep guys,” Jack said and shut his eyes.

“Me too,” Christian agreed. He shut his eyes too. Alex thought about it, but decided to stay awake. The train kept going at a fairly fast pace.

“How are we doing with time Seán?” the train driver asked his assistant.

“We’re five minutes early and ten minutes until we’re into Galway,” Seán said. They smiled to each other. They had been working together for a couple of years now.

“Let me radio the station,” the driver said, with a gruff voice, “Galway, this is the train from Heuston, Dublin. We will be arriving in ten minutes.”

They waited for an answer. There was only static coming through. The driver cleared his throat.

“Galway, this is the train-“he was stopped short.

“What the fuck!?” Seán screamed. A mass gathering of people stood in the middle of the bridge over the river in Galway. “What the hell are those people doing!?” The driver looked grim. The people had legs and arms missing. Their flesh was rotting. They were surrounding a car that had tried to escape down the track. The man and his family inside were being mauled mercilessly.

“Those aren’t people....” he said, “those are zombies.”

The train shuddered harshly and started to fall off the tracks. Alex and Kate were flung forward and into Christian and Jack. They blacked out.

Alex slowly opened his eyes. He was looking at the floor and there was blood dripping from a cut above his eyebrow. He pulled himself up and stood. Pain throbbed through his body. Thankfully, he could move everything and he didn’t believe that he had broken anything, just bruising. His hearing came to and he wasn’t very happy with what he heard. He heard screams. He looked around. There was a man. And there was a woman. And the man...was biting the woman’s neck. The woman screamed as blood gushed out of her neck. The man moaned and released her from his grip. The woman’s body slumped to the ground.