Chapter 9 - Messing Up Heads

Colin asks for my number, saying he wants to stay connected. When Ray finds out, he shrieks inside our locker, jumps with joy, and says, "You finally found a man worth your time!"

"It isn't like that, Ray. He's just a friend."

"I have been watching you and that super hot Colin Verne from the kitchen. He has his eyes on you the whole time!"

"It's because we're talking. One way to have good communication is to maintain eye contact. Maybe he's just practicing it." What a lame excuse! Even I noticed how keenly he fixed his eyes on me.

"Nonetheless, he still asked for your number. What's next to that? A date maybe?"

"Ray, I have school, two jobs, multiple loans to worry about, and Dad and Mom, I just don't have time for dates or anything like that." I pick up my bag and together we walk out of the diner. We make sure the doors and windows are locked, and the power is turned off.

Moments later, we are still waiting for a cab.

"Angel, a little inspiration won't hurt."

"Not this time."

Ray clasps my hands. "Colin might just be the right person you've been waiting for. Don't let this opportunity slip out of your hands, dear Angel."

Just like how I didn't forego the opportunity with Damien. Now, I can't pull him out my life so easily. I don't want any more regrets, especially because of a stupid question and Damien's infantile behavior.

"What's Etheridge doing at the counter by the way?"

"The usual."

"I thought you'd say you're discussing de Vere," he mutters as he interlaces our fingers and leads me for a short walk. He can squeeze the truth out of me this way.

"Alright." I hold onto his arm. "I wasn't in his car because of assignment or Shakespeare or for whatever pathetic excuse. I went to him last night."

Ray pulls me to a stop.

"Hold on right there! Don't say a word until you hear me."

He falls silent. I can almost read what is running through his mind, and I must correct it as fast as I can.

"Nothing happened, but we were this close. "I show him my index and thumb fingers with an inch gap. "Nothing happened, I swear to God."

"You mean you almost did it?"

"Yes, but I stopped him."

"You went there just to stop him?"

"What are you trying to say?"

Ray breathes heavily. "Why did you even go there in the first place?"

"I was tempted. I'm sorry. I'm just human."

"Because humans make mistakes and nobody's perfect, let's say you're forgiven by universal law. But Angel, never ever do that again!"

"I promise."

"Okay, enough of this older sister me." He smiles at me while jiggling his head. "Let me be Ray this time. How's Damien?"

"What?"

"Damien and his body and his touch and his... you know." He winks at me.

"Oh, God! I can't believe you!"

How can he reprimand me and still want to hear about last night's mischief?

"Angel, I lost my innocence the very moment I first laid my eyes on Etheridge."