Rooftop

Rooftop

I watch him as he takes a long drag from the cigarette.

“I hope you realise you’re killing yourself slowly” I say.

He turns to look at me, confused. His brows furrow and his dark green eyes glisten in the moonlight as he lets out a puff of smoke. He shakes his head and looks back at the cigarette poised perfectly in between his thumb and index finger. I watch him as he pushes the end of the cigarette into the ground and turns back to face me. He shifts closer to me and places his hands on either side of my face. My breath catches in my throat as I stare into his eyes.

They’re so beautiful.

Slowly and gently he places his lips on top of mine. Stars explode at the back of my eyes as I draw myself closer to him. He tastes sweet despite what he’s just smoked and I can’t get enough of it. He pulls me into his lap and I run my fingers through his hair. I kiss him deeper and his response is fierce. But then I reluctantly come back to my senses remembering that I shouldn’t be here, shouldn’t be doing this.

“Orion…I can’t” I say pulling away. He responds by bringing his kisses down to my neck. I stifle a groan and gently push him back. “Orion stop it”

He gives me a wicked smile and I slide off his lap pulling my cardigan closer to my body. I let out a long shaky breath and watch him closely. He pulls his hand down his face, sadness washing over him. He knows what I know – we shouldn’t be here, we shouldn’t be doing this.

Then I hear it. Almost inaudible at first but I know I heard it.

“What did you just say?” I breathe.

“I love you Olivia” he says it meekly a shy smile playing on his lips. My heart expands overwhelmed with joy and I pull him into a hug. I can feel the tears stinging my eyes but I refuse to let them fall. Instead I bury my face into his shoulder.

“I love you Orion. I love you more than you could ever imagine.” I whisper. His strong arms wrap around me and I don’t want to move. I want to stay here like this, live in this moment forever.

“You should go back now” he says into my hair.

“I know”

He stands up and holds out his hand to help me up. I take it and we make our way to the other side of the roof. The only way to get down is by scooting down the pipe and placing your hands carefully as I learnt the hard way. He lets me get down first and then he does.

“I can’t call you” I tell him.

He doesn’t look at me.

“I know”

“And I can’t text you”

“I know” he takes a step closer to me but I step back.

“Please. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be”

He looks up at me and nods.

“Goodbye Olivia.”

“Goodbye Orion.” He turns to leave when I remember.

“Orion?”

“Yes?”

“Please try not to smoke”

That smile again. “I’ll try”

As soon as I turn around, I let the tears fall.