Chapter 2 - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Thursday. The day before the concert. In thirty seven hours and 4 minutes, I would be at a Rolling Stones concert. If I died on Saturday, I wouldn't care because I got to see the Stones play. Lost in my thoughts, I passed my school. I didn't realize I had until I was four blocks away. "Oh shit!" I bolted back towards school. I can't believe I did that again. This was certainly not the first time I passed school, lost in my thoughts. "You're late Ms. Santucci." My english teacher scolded. The nuns were tough, but lucky for me, my math teacher was also my disciplinarian. I did well in math and she liked me. My english teacher was strict but, she liked me so I didn't get into too much trouble. "I know, I'm so sorry! I stepped in a puddle half way to school and had to go home and change my socks." I lied. Yes I know it's a sin to lie but, I didn't care, I'm probably already going to hell anyway so it doesn't really matter anymore. I could sleep at night and that's all that mattered. I sat at my desk and looked through my backpack for my essay on World War II. "No. No! No!!!" I said angrily. I forgot my english folder. "Damn it!" I muttered. "Mrs. Kowski! Anna said a bad word!" Mary Goretti tattled waving her hand in the air like a flag. I sighed as the teacher walked towards me. "Shit." I muttered.

"Detention!? What!? No that's not fair!" I squeaked. "I'm sorry, Anna. You can't be swearing around the other students. You'll also have to go to confession." The principle said softly. She had a whiskey voice but swears she's never had a drop of alcohol. "Fine, but this is cruel and unfair punishment to an innocent student." I sighed knowing there was no way to win. I was escorted down to the detention room. I sat silently with two other kids. "Hey." the school's most popular stoner greeted me with a raspy voice. "Hi." I said nervously. My friends were all pretty good, I didn't know how to behave around a "bad boy". I sat fidgeting with my hair and clothes. "I never thought I'd see the day that Anna Santucci got detention." the boy joked. "Haha, neither did I." I laughed. "So, uh. What are you doin' tomorrow night?"  he was trying to sound very suave. "I'm going to a concert, actually." I said looking away. "Oh yeah? What band?" he was probably expecting me to say ABBA or something. "The Rolling Stones." I said happily, my thoughts returning to the concert. "Really? You dig The Stones?" he seemed far too taken aback. "Hell yeah! They're awesome!" I exclaimed. "Far out! I love The Stones, man." we both smiled and I turned towards him. "I'm Eric" he held out his hand and I shook it, "Anna, but you seemed to already know that." I chuckled awkwardly. "Anna!" I was startled, nearly fell off of my chair. Eric laughed as I collected myself and stood up. "You may leave now. You can collect your homework at the front desk. Eric! You stay!" my math teacher said holding the door open with one hand and pointing her finger at Eric with the other. "When you point at someone there's always three fingers pointing back." Eric said before getting scolded for talking back.

"What's this about a concert, Anna?" My mother asked as I walked in the door. I hated when people talked to me when I first got home. "It's nothing. It's just a small concert tomorrow night. Joey's escorting me." I told her. I know, I know, I lied again. Guess what? I still don't care! I'm going to the concert no matter what and technically, Joey was escorting me because he was driving me there then picking me up so there's that. "Oh, well alright. Just make sure you tell your father. You know how he gets if nobody tells him these things." my mother said as she stirred the huge pot of gravy (Pasta sauce. That's what real Italians call it.) My brother walked into the kitchen "You're boyfriend's here." Joey was close behind him. Nick scared the living day lights out of Joey even though his intentions were good he knew my brother was a force to be reckoned with. "Haha, oh god you're so funny. I'm just dying of laughter, Nick." I said as sarcastically as I could "Make sure I don't put anything special in your pasta tonight." Nick said trying to sound intimidating but, I knew he was blushing. He loved me too much. He bragged about me to his friends and talked about me a lot apparently. Joey came over and stood behind me. "Your brother scares the living hell out of me." Joey whispered. I laughed as Joey followed me towards the the living room. "So. Detention, huh?" Joey asked. "Shh! If my parents hear that I'm dead, man!" I whispered loudly. "Oh! Sorry." Joey apologized with an expression like that of a child that got caught stealing cookies.