Nikolai forced the truth out of me one year to the date of that horrible night. I can still remember the fright in my tiny ten-year-old body as I raced out of the ballroom.

Closing my eyes, I take myself back to that one night. The night everything changed.

I twirl around my mother in the exquisite ball gown she had placed me in moments before. My dark brown hair placed magnificently on top of my head. Little ringlets dangle around my heart shaped face makes me feel as if I'm a princess.

"Claudia sweetheart, you must remember this is a ball, not an afternoon with your brother." Spinning me around, she stares into my bright blue eyes. I had my mother's beautiful eyes and I couldn't be prouder. "This is Prince Caden's birthday ball, you must be a perfect Princess. Do you hear me? No running around, laughing out loud or speaking out of turn. Remember the reason you are allowed to attend this ball."

The love shining in her eyes brings me up straight. I won't disappoint my mother or father tonight. Not in front of the royal family and their friends. Tonight's ball is important as Prince Caden is old enough to recognize his future Princess.

Being a mythical creature has its benefits. All werewolf males have the ability to scent out his soul mate at the tender age of fourteen. Female werewolves, unfortunately, have to wait until their eighteenth birthday. Unlike males who can sniff out or gaze into his mate eyes to recognize his other half, females go into heat. She is forced to stay in bed to prevent unwanted male attention.

At least that's what my mother has told me on countless occasions. I'm not too sure what attention she is speaking off. She never goes into detail. My father informs me that I'm too young at the age of ten to know what male attention means. Nikolai gives me attention, though he educated me that his attention is entirely different from a mates attention.

"Hurry Claudia, it's time to go. We do not want you to be late to your first ball." Ushering me out of our small family apartment in the servant's quarters we rush down dimly light hallways until we reach the entrance to the magnificent ballroom. "Remember to keep your head up straight, my love. Show no fear. We have taught you well to dance as a high born lady." Her eyes sparkle with excitement for me.

"I will, Momma. I promise to make you proud." Smiling at her, I stand up straight, preparing myself for the night ahead.

"We are proud of you already Claudia. Your father and I couldn't have asked for a better daughter than you. Remember that, my love." Wiping a lone tear from her eyes, I lean up and kiss her cheek. I love my momma deeply and wish she could be with me inside the ballroom. Instead, she has to return to the kitchen and finish prepping tonight's dinner.

"Now, go Claudia. I do not want you to miss out on a single moment of this exciting night." Kissing my forehead she pushes me towards the two gigantic wooden doors.

Taking a deep breath, I keep my head high as I walk through the open double doors. I try not to look down as I pass by the guards standing at attention by the doors. They carry such power it frightens me.

This ball is for all the young available girls. Glancing around I notice girls as young as four all the way up to seventeen years of age. My family didn't have enough money to buy me a dress for this ball. Most servants didn't. The King ruled five months before the ball that any young lady who didn't have enough money to buy her dress was to borrow one from a sow shop. My dress may be used, but I think I look like a princess.

Walking on the outside of the dance floor, I keep my eyes open for Prince Caden. I've seen him twice in my life, and he is quite cute. Taylor teases me on my little crush on the older boy. He believes it to be funny when I think he is a big meanie to his little sister. I try to get him back, by teasing him. I'm not good at it at all.