Zelda Skyward Sword Fanfic 2

I look around to see if anybody else had failed. I mean, this was a written test to see what we could do academically! Surely, I'm not the only bad tester, right? Unfortunately, that doesn't even seem true. I see everyone celebrating, though. I see Cawlin and Strich high-fiving, Link doing psychotic flips, and even Fledge has some sort of celebratory dance going on. Groose is under me, jumping on and off of his Loftwing and, sad to say, I don't care about his safety. I make Burnadette speed down over to Professor Horwell, because I'm so mad, nothing matters. I want to know why I didn't make it.
     "Instructor Horwell, sir--" I call as Burnadette lands. I scramble off of her as he walks towards me.
     "Yes, Sjenn, I see you're upset about your note." I'm more then upset, but I'm trying to not be mean about it.
     "Yes, sir. I was wondering what 'other options' means. Why didn't I get accepted? What did I do wrong?" He places a reassuring hand on my shoulder.
     "Sjenn, walk with me."
     I do, but I keep holding onto my note and reading it over and over. This is not possible. This can't be possible.
     "Now, Sjenn, It probably looks like it, but you didn't quite fail. In a way, you made it."
     My expression brightens "Really?!"
     "Well, not into the Knight Academy." My hopes are dashed again. "You see, Owlan instructs academics, correct?"
     I nod.
     "I instruct  how to ride Loftwings, yes?"
     I nod again.
     "Well, I already have Pipit under my wing as a Loftwing expert, but your scores on Loftwing anatomy and related subjects were outrageous! You scored higher then anyone in that field." I sense something good is coming. "So, Sjenn, would you like to become a Loftwing instructor's apprentice?"
     I stop and think of what he's asking. All of my hard work to become a knight and instead, I get a different job? I know I should be happy I'm not going to be picking up after people or be a miserable housewife for someone who's like Fledge... or worse...
     Wait...Pipit?
     "Did you say Pipit was there?" Potential is there!! Potential husband!
     "Yes, in fact, he is-"
     "Well, well, Instructor Horwell, I really should think about this, but I will get back to you tomorrow!" I almost yell. I can't make it seem I'm going there just for Pipit, although that's about eighty percent why I'm going. He wont give me privileges, because if Pipit leaves, he'll get the impression that I will leave, which may or may not happen. "Thank you, Instructor Horwell!" I say as I almost sprint away.

     When I get home, my parents aren't there. Figures. Maybe they're in the other room, because my parents use every opportunity they can to be "happy" when I'm gone. Well, they even do it when I'm here. I can't have a conversation with them in the same room, because a subject might make them reminisce in the other room about their "teenage years." They didn't do this until they gave me "the talk," and now it's done, like, every other minute in my house. I sit down glumly at the table, because it hits me that Cawlin, Strich, and Fledge passed. Cawlin and Strich can't even function properly, because they're so stupid, and Fledge.... uh.....no.
     I mess with a fork on my table, trying to stand it up without stabbing holes in the wooden surface. I've probably done this about ten times, when I hear a bunch of commotion at my door. As I stand up, Groose, my parents, Pipit, his family, Zelda and Karane bust in. Groose is first to pick me up and hug me. He kisses my neck, but I don't budge. My mother and Pipit's mother are holding a cake that says "Congratulations, Sjenn" on it. It registers in my mind now that Groose had planned this for me. He knows I run away from good things, because every time something good happens, I refuse to believe it and I hide for a day or two. But this time, nothing good happened. I did get offered a second job, but I still fell below Cawlin, Strich, and Fledge.
     "What's this all about?" I inquire. I know what's going on, but still, I have to ask.
     "I thought I might take the celebration to you today, Sjenn! I know how you don't like to accept good things in life, because... you know, you're a weirdo, but I think that you shouldn't wait to celebrate this victory!" Everyone cheered as Groose gave his speech. He spoke so passionately, but I didn't know how to tell him that I didn't make it.
     "Groose..." I grab his arm softly, but he doesn't notice. Instead, Zelda and Karane both come up to me and give me a present. Zelda had made me a small fabric with my Loftwing, Burnadette, on it. It's beautiful and she probably spent forever on it, but I still don't like her. I hug her and smile.
     "Thank you, Zelda, it's lovely..." I say. Karane hugs me tighter when I let go of Zelda and throws a gift into my hand. It's a large present, and I open it.
     "Karane, it's beautiful!" I exclaim. It's a new harness for my Loftwing, and it's got "Burnadette" sewn in on the front. It's tough leather and will serve me well... in the academy...
     "Thank you, Karane!" I hug her. "But...I have to tell you something..."
     Karane leans closer in. "Yes?" she whispers.
     "Okay, well, I..." I stutter on my wording as I tell  Karane, because I feel like I might cry. I try not to tell myself I'm a failure, but no matter how many ways I put it, it ends up sounding the same to me. "I didn't make it." I whisper.
     Zelda and Karane both gasp. "What?" They exhale.
     "But, but Groose is throwing this celebration for you--"
     "How did he not kno--"
     "Hold on!" I shush them. "Groose doesn't know. He assumed I made it because he did, but I got second options, because Instructor Horwell offered me to be a Loftwing Rancher..." I explain. Zelda looks excited, and tries to tell me it's a good option, and that I wont be cleaning up tables for the rest of my life. Karane looks jealous though.
     "You get to work with Pipit!" She exclaims very loudly. I clamp my hand over her mouth.
     "Shhh!! Stop! Don't give it away!" I hiss. "I have to tell everyone. But, I wanted to tell Groose first. I thought he should know."      They both nod and I try to creep up to Groose without anyone noticing. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way. Groose notices me as I try to grab his arm. He pulls me into him and kisses my head.
     "I love youuu," he smiles. "We're going to be awesome together in the Knight Academy!"
     "Groose," I whisper.
     "We will live up past the titles and be the best they've ever seen! There will be legends of us!"
     "Groose," I say a little louder.
     "People after us will want to live up to our names!"
     "Groose--" I almost yell.
     "And Sjenn!" he shouts. "Ah, I'm so excited!"
     "Groose, I didn't make it!" I shout. Everything stops and everyone looks at me. Embarrassed, I bury my face in Groose's chest. "I'm sorry, everyone..." I whimper, "I didn't want you guys to go out of your way to do this..."
     I feel a hand on my shoulder. It's my father. "Sjenn, why didn't you just tell us?" he asks.
     "I tried to before everyone got too comfortable, but I felt bad, you all set this up, I didn't expect it at all." I feel tears burning my eyes. I run into my room and slam the door. I slide down the door and bury my face in my arms. I end up not crying, but my eyes are stinging. After a couple minutes, there's a knock on my door.
     "Who is it?" I yell.
     "It's me."
     "Go away, Me! I don't wan't to talk to you!" I reply sarcastically. The door manages to be shoved open and I'm thrown halfway across the room.
     "Sorry..." big, awkward Groose mumbles as he walks in. I stand up and  stare at him. How is it I can be so happy I can work with Pipit, but be so saddened when I see Groose, because I know I've fallen lower then Fledge?! I walk over and sit down on my bed. Groose sits down too. For a second we sit there without any contact. Then Groose wraps his arms around me. I hug him as tight as I possibly can.
     "I'm so sorry, Sjenn..." he says. I squeeze my eyes shut so I don't cry.
     "It's fine, Groose," I whisper. "I've been offered a second job--"
     "No, not that you didn't make it. I feel like I rubbed everything in. Like, I feel like a jerk," his voice cracks. I know how sensitive Groose is, so I stop hugging him and start petting his spiked hair. I smile at him.
     "No, no you're not a jerk. Not at all. In fact, I'm proud of you. You made it!" I hug him. "You made it! You're awesome!" I laugh slightly. Realizing that my best friend is happy takes away from my self-loathing. I shouldn't even have a self-loathing party. I'm starting something new. I should be grateful I have that.
     "And look," I start, "you know how I love Loftwings so much, right? Well, I was offered another job, as a Loftwing Rancher, like Instructor Horwell and Pipit! I'll get to do something else I love!"
     Groose smiled at me. "Really? That's awesome! I'll be sure to visit you, and we need to plan around each other, so we could see each other! And, and we-" I stop him before he gets too excited.
     "I'm starting training on Monday, like you. After a week, we'll meet up and see what we can do, alright?" I hug Groose again around his neck. We both kiss each other's necks, and I send him on his way. I walk out to see my mom and dad at the table, eating.      My mother stands up when she sees me and walks over to hug me. "Sjenn, honey, I'm so sorry-" I hold up my hand and cut her off.
     "Mom, it's okay. I have another chance," I tell my parents of my other training offered, and they agree it's a good job, and that I should be happy to help everyone in a different way.
     "Loftwing Ranching is a good job. You know, because of those Loftwings, they get real territorial if they build their own nests. Leads to aggression, and someone could get hurt. Good for you, Sjenn." I hug my dad, and smile.
     "Thanks, Dad." For all of this happening in one day, I'm suprisingly not tired. "I'm going to take Burnadette out." I say. "I wanna test my new harness. Be back soon!" I tell them.