PROFILE OF EVIL - Excerpt

Brody pulled up in front of a two-story gray house in a nice neighborhood with palm trees lining the streets.  Flicking on the interior car light, he checked the address he'd been given.  It was the correct address, so he parked his rental car in the driveway.  There were lights on inside the house, which was encouraging, for he had a critical need to talk to the resident.

Impatiently, he rang the doorbell several times, and then pounded his fist against the front door.  Damn it.  He had not come all the way from Indiana to Florida to miss talking with this guy.  He had to be home.  Brody desperately needed his help before another teenage girl lost her life.  Sheriff Tim Brennan had written to him about how good this guy was, and if Brennan recommended him, he had to be excellent.  Brody hammered at the door again, before peeking through the front window.  There was no one inside, but from his position he could see open sliding glass doors leading to the backyard. 

From the side yard, he opened the iron gate to the back of the house.  The second he entered the backyard, he noticed a woman diving into an Olympic-sized pool.  Transfixed, he watched her as she swam to the far end of the pool, and then kicked-off to swim to the other end, this time on her back.  Her naked body, slick from the water, glowed in the moonlight.  The tiny glittering lights surrounding the pool made her look ethereal as she sliced through the water.

He should do the gentlemanly thing and leave, but he couldn't move.  His frozen legs seemed attached to the ground.  He could barely breathe as she lifted herself out of the water.  With long black hair as shiny as glass, she had an athletic build, with full, uplifted breasts, curved hips and endless legs.  His jeans grew tighter as his arousal strained against the zipper of his jeans.

Moving to a deck chair, she wrapped a white towel around her body—then picked up a serious-looking handgun that she aimed at his chest.

"I don't know who you are or why you're in my yard, but I've got a little secret I'd like to share with you," she began.  "In the past two years, I've shot two men.  Neither man is here to talk about it."

Brody stiffened as a wave of apprehension hit him full-force.  He'd been shot before, remembered it well, and had no desire to repeat the experience.  He cleared his throat and said, "I apologize if I frightened you.  I pounded on the front door, but no one answered."

"That doesn't tell me who you are and why you are here," she returned, assuming one of the best shooting stances he'd ever seen.

He hesitated for a second, and then responded, "I'm Sheriff Brody Chase from Morel, Indiana, in Shawnee County.  I'm here to see Carl Stone."

She quirked her eyebrow questioningly, and asked, "Who told you Carl Stone lived here?"

"A fellow Indiana county sheriff gave me the name and address in an email.  Tim Brennan's his name," he replied. 

She slowly lowered the gun.  "Sounds like Sheriff Brennan made a typo.  It's Carly Stone that you're looking for.  Why do you want to talk to me?"

"You're Tim's consultant?"  Brody asked, with an element of surprise in his voice.

"My brother, Blake Stone, is a detective on Tim's team.  Last year, he and his wife, Jennifer, did all the work to track down the killer.  I just gave them a kind of psychological road map."

"I need to talk to you," Brody said as he moved closer.

She held up a hand.  "Not here.  There's an IHOP Restaurant down the road.  I'll meet you there in an hour."

Note:  PROFILE OF EVIL  is available on Amazon (all countries), Barnes and Noble, iTunes, Kobo, Diesel, Sony, Smashwords and more.