Chapter 26

(Recap)

“Don’t use your power. I need to feel this. Sometimes you need to feel the pain in order to grow from it.”

At first I didn’t know why he would turn down my help to make it easier, but then I realized what he meant. He had to feel the pain in order to get over it instead of ignoring it until it got too much and totally destroyed you. So I just sat silently next to him, while holding him in my arms. We stayed like that, for most of the night, just listening to each other’s heart beats.

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 26

The week seemed to go really slow. The tension in the house was unbearable, the remaining wolves willing to stand up to the council and hellhounds was taking a knock and we were all expecting an attack anytime soon, seen as we had Broderick as well as Rubin. We didn’t miss the fact that by standing up to the council, we could be branded as rogues and then we could end up being hunted. So far, the council was hanging back and not associating with Broderick, even though he was part of the council. They were questioned daily to find out what the council has planned with the hellhounds and the future of all werewolves. Why Broderick was even made a part of the council and why were humans included in the war of the wolves?

But unfortunately they were proven to be very tight lipped and never even breathed a single word of any future plans. We even tried using another wolf’s power on them but nothing, not a peep. Hunter wouldn’t let me go near either of them, most likely because he was still reeling from them capturing me, then forcing me to heal the leader to the village idiots.

We sent most of the defenseless wolves, like the woman and children as well as the frail to a secure location, in case we were attacked. We were using the pack house more as a base now, than an actual central ground for a pack. 

I walked into Hunter’s office, which used to be his father’s office and saw him sitting at the desk with his head in his hands, with a glass of whiskey on his desk in front of him. I closed the door behind me and he looked up. His face lite up a little when he saw it was me, but the stress never left his features. I walked towards the seat in front of him and sat down.

“Are you okay?”

“As okay as I’ll ever be in this situation.”

We were quiet for a little while, when he broke the silence.

“I spoke to my mom.”

He’s been wanting to talk to her about what he overheard for a while. He seemed to be trying to build up the courage to talk to her, partly wishing for it not to be true.

“And? How did it go?”

He sighed and took a sip of his whiskey and then stared into the glass while he spoke.