Chapter 56. You and I*

• Dedicated to JC Dulin-my husband

Chapter 56. You and I by Michael Bublé

My suggestions to Evan on her gifts could not have gone worse. Frustrated with myself for not being able to explain it better, and with her for not hearing me out, I sat back and watched as Jean and Nathan leaned over the couch and each of them kissed her on a cheek. She smiled sweetly and patted each one on the face. Those simple actions told me that she was okay with contact from those two.

"What all did you find out shopping?" Evan asked, sending a teasing wink my way. Would I ever understand her?

"We've already stowed our finds in our quarters, figured we'd give you a fashion show tomorrow," Hannah piped up as she settled herself neatly next to Evan on the black leather couch. Looking to Evan, she asked, "Do you need anything? Or is everything you need here?"

"Well, I don't really know. I have a few things here, but I don't know exactly. I have been a little preoccupied the last few days," Evan said with a small laugh. "Emil, did you bring more of my things here, after..."

Knowing she meant after her attack, I spoke up, not wanting her to have to say it, "I only grabbed a few things. I wanted to talk to you about that. I have something special planned for tonight, and I wanted to see what you thought about gathering anything special you want from the house. You don't have to make any decisions about the house yet, that can wait if it bothers you."

Evan sat silently staring out the windows for a while. When she spoke, her voice was haunted, "I don't know that I want to go in there. I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned up."

"It's okay if you don't want to. You could tell me what you need and I could get it for you, if you'd rather," I replied softly.

Evan looked at me and I saw a small, scared child where a confident woman had been a moment ago. I went to her then knelt in front of her. Taking her face between my hands I told her, "There is no reason you have to go inside, love. I will do it for you."

"I don't really have any keepsakes, Emil, except for the picture of my Grandmother on the mantel, and my family Bible. I guess I just need my clothes. Do you want your things? I want the quilt from your bed. Maybe I need to face things and just get it over with? I could always leave if I couldn't take it," she said, seeking my approval of her decision.

"Whatever you think is best for you. I will be right there with you," I said, planting a kiss on her forehead, letting the tingle of energy flow through my lips for just a moment.

Standing, I looked to my friend Tourneau. "Jean, will you join me in my office? I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you and then we can go ahead with our plans."

I was getting excited. Planning the raid on the club was not all we had discussed this afternoon and everyone except Nathan and Evan were in on the surprise. I did not miss the curious glance that passed between Nathan and Evan, nor did I miss the concentrated efforts of the others in the room not to let on that they knew something was afoot, each of them conspicuously preoccupied with something else besides looking at either of them.

I walked to my office, expecting Jean to follow. When he closed the door behind him, he strode over and clapped me on the shoulder. I could see pride and love in his eyes.

"You're going to do it tonight then? Have you given Evan any hints?" he asked, grinning widely.

"Tonight's the night. I haven't mentioned anything until just now. She doesn't know anything. I hope she won't mind," I answered, almost as giddy as if I were a young man again. "I have something serious I need to talk to you about though. Evan had a very bad episode of pain while you were gone. She recovered and is fine now, but it took her off her feet it was so bad. She is downplaying it, of course, but I am afraid the baby is going to hurt her even more. She is growing so quickly."