Chapter 10

It's been over two weeks since I've been here. I have yet to start my classes, my mom has yet to leave, and my dad has yet to visit my room. I've barely spoken, barely eaten, and only bathe when its night. No one sees me get out of the bed then.

Carmichael-now that I know his name-has visited. I'm still wary around him, but he brings snacks. 

You can never say no to snacks.

I count the days going by as I sit and listen to the bell ring for classes. I can hear the hustle and bustle of random teenagers invade my family home. Scratch that, school.

"You know, eventually you'll have to get out of this bed sometime." I look up into the calm eyes of a creature that has the ability to shape-shift into an animal. As I look up at him, my mind flashes back to a giant beast with my throat calmly locked in his jaws. A shiver runs  through my body as I remember that day. He almost killed me, and now he's holding box of Twinkies in his lap.

My eyes dropped to the delectable snack as I ignored his comment.

 I pondered what he said for a moment. Getting out of this bed meant facing reality. But is it really? A ghost tries to scare me to death, my own mother apparently passed down some demon abilities to me, and now I'm being hunted. There is a death mark hanging on my head. Who the hell wants to get out of bed in the morning to that? Or should I say late evening, the blinds were pulled an hour ago. He's been here for two.

Carmichael just looks at me. His black hair falling in front of his eyes as he sighs. A tribal tattoo peeks up from his v-neck as I stare a little too long at his chest.  "If you don't face the world, it's going to face you. You've been here for two weeks, get up al-", he was cut off. 

There was a loud crack that echoed not just through my room, but through the building. My brows furrowed as I looked to him. He was already standing, backing towards the door. "Stay here and don't move", his voice was hard. Like I was going anywhere. He ran out the door. It shut with a bang as a tremor went through the room. 

My heart skipped a beat as that small tremor turned into the bed shaking, my dresser falling over, and what can only be heard as screams echoed through the halls. My hands were shaking and not just because the room was. 

I leaped out of bed only to fall to the floor. The room was still shaking. The bedside table fell on its side as I grabbed the bed. My feet were numb, I barely used them at all this week. I knew I would regret that.

As I held onto the bed the shaking only got worse. I felt my teeth click together as the shouting got louder. A ringing began in my ear as I half-rolled under the bed. Glass shattered to the floor from the wall mirror, the bed creaked as it slowly moved across the floor. I held on as I felt the vibrations go through my body. My heartbeat only accelerated as I held on for dear life. My eyes tightly shut as fear rocked my body. My breath, now ragged, felt as though each inhale took years to make. 

I could hear shouting from the hall. The distinct sound of howls could be heard behind all those screams. I didn't move. I couldn't; my whole body was vibrating against the floorboards of my room. I felt bile rise in my throat as I clutched my stomach. I couldn't open y eyes. Everything, including them, were moving.

A soft whimper left my mouth as I heard the wardrobe tip over and heard the windows shatter. 

That's when I heard it. The sounds of the outside. Nothing, besides the noise coming from the building, I heard no screams from the window. It didn't make any sense. As I took another inhale, I felt the vomit coming to the surface. I couldn't hold it any longer. A putrid smell covered my nose as I held my eyes shut tightly. I tried to focus on outside. 

The birds were chirping and I could hear laughter coming from the window. It wasn't far from my bed.  

I realized it then. It wasn't some random earthquake. We weren't on a fault line. 

The building itself was shaking.

What was going on?