Chapter One

The bitter taste of wood circled my mouth as I wrote in little details on my sheet music. I bent over, slowly picking my instrument up from its laying position on top of its case. I then removed the reed from my mouth, I picked up the mouth piece from the music stand and finished assembling the instrument. Taking a deep breath in I began to play one single note on my clarinet.

"Hurry up you little shit!" I could hear my mom call from downstairs, interrupting my music.

I sighed as I began disassembling my instrument and placing each piece neatly into its case. Turning the key to the desk drawer I placed the ivory black case inside of the drawer along with the sheet music. Sitting a binder inside of the music stand began scooting it across the floor to the window.

"I need to get you to school so you can actually make something of yourself!" My mom called again, the burning smell of alcohol began to approach my room.

"I'm almost finished!" I yelled pulling my hair from the bun it was in, allowing it to fall to my hips. I quickly took my glasses off of my face. I began walking to my door as I parted my hair to the left. I quickly grabbed my bag as I ran out of my room.

As I exited my room, I ran straight into my mom. The smell of alcohol burned my nose and was now all over my clothes. I looked up at my mom who gave me a drunken smile. I gave her a slightly scared smile as she breathed onto my face. The stench burnt my nose and I could feel my eyes watering.

"Are you finally ready to go make a bigger disappointment of yourself?" She asked turning and stumbling down the steps. Slowly I followed behind her.

I climbed into the driver's seat of the car. Mom laid back in the passenger seat, chugging on her bottle of rum as I buckled her and myself into the car. As I started the car she began yelling at me about how much of a bother I am to her. I drove us to my school and unfastened both of our seat belts. I grabbed my backpack from the back seat of the car.

I quickly joined my best friend, Katlyn, on the steps of the school. We stood and watched my mom quickly speeding off, being sure to hit the curb before she pulled out of the school's parking lot. I glanced over at her as she stared off into the distance in disgust, her hazel eyes shining as the sun directly hit them.

"There's my favorite lesbian couple," a deep male voice sounded. Quickly Katlyn turned on her heels and her face went from disgust to pure anger.

"I love her to death, but being with another girl is a sin. It's not natural and punishable by being stoned to death," she quickly snapped as she stormed off into the maroon red, brick building.

Katlyn is a major Christian, every time she comes to my house she typically had a crucifix necklace, bible, and holy water with her. Along with ear plugs so she doesn't have to hear the "unholy" words my mother constantly spits out.

I looked up at my guy friend Josiah, who stood pleased with his work, as he watched Katlyn storm off. He looked down at me from two steps up with a smirk across his face, he let our a small chuckle as he flicked his head to fix his shaggy black hair. He held out his hand toward me, I slowly met him on the step he stood on. Josiah's arm then wrapped around my waist as he pulled me into his body, allowing me to smell the deodorant he put on this morning.

"Must you always make her so mad?" I asked as we began making our way up the steps to the metallic front doors. Josiah chuckled yet again as Katlyn came into our sight, she was standing alone buy the secretary's desk with her binder pressed against her chest.

"Are you saying that it's not fun to watch her freak out like that?" He asked as we entered the dimly lit, main hallway. I shook my head with a small laugh as we met up with Katlyn.

Slowly we all walked to our separate home rooms together. The five minute warning bell sounded for home room, people began to quickly scurry to get to class on time. Silently we parted ways and went into the classrooms.