Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The following two weeks went by in a blur. The same routine continued: wake up, get ready for school, go to school, listen to a bunch of boring teachers drone on, study at lunch with Jess, more boringness, study at home, eat, study, and finally sleep.

By the end of the week it had become a habit but also very annoying. I had exams in school, which were very important, and if I didn't study and pass the upcoming exams, I would basically fail the whole year and all the work I had done would be for nothing!

Although all of this was going on, my mind kept wandering to two people - Brooke and Aaron.

Brooke and I hadn't spoken and today was Friday. It was tradition for all out friends to do something every Friday night. It was like our date night, only just as friends.

Aaron on the other hand.. I was dodging him, but everywhere I turned in school and at home he was there. By the lockers, in the cafeteria, outside my classroom doors, on the running track during p.e, looking through his bedroom window when I was, emptying the bin when I was.. It was creepy! But each time, not a single word was exchanged between us. It was awkward, but I'm not sure why. I guess I was dodging him because he claimed to have lost his key, fell on top of me, allowed me to sleep on his lap and in his bed. To me, it was weird. But I know he didn't find either of them in the slightest bit strange behaviour between 'friends' (if we even were friends) so it was just odd for him not to even say hi or even tease me about anything.. Or even exchange eye contact.

So these are the reasons why I wasn't looking forward to the last day of the school week.

***

The ride to school that morning was scary. Jason hadn't said a word. Not even a murmur. He was always happy and chirpy in the morning, talking about the weekend and about his girlfriend who he was 'madly in love with' - his words, not mine. Something seemed off, and I knew Jason very well. But since he was a guy and guys don't normally share their problems when you ask, and come round to it in their own time, I didn't bother him. Instead I put on the radio for the ride and shot him a smile when we arrived at the gates.

The corridors were extremely quiet, too. Not a single person in site. Probably because me and Jason decided it was a good idea to come early and get started with parter studying, which we don't like doing at home.

"So.. I'll grab my books from my locker and I'll meet you in the library?" I said with a smile to Jason.

He simply nodded and sped up his pace towards the library.

When I reached my locker and unlocked, I heard slow, quiet footsteps coming towards me. I closed my locker and turned around, it was Brooke.

I most definitely did not want to speak to her, and was about to walk away but her eyes were red and puffy like she had been excessively crying and I just couldn't leave her so upset without saying anything to her! I mean, I know I was mad at her and we were supposed to be in a fight but she is my best friend and it's heartbreaking witnessing your best friend so vulnerable.

"Brooke, what's wrong?" I whispered, my voice barely audible but think with concern.

She stopped in front of me, looking at the floor. "I'm sorry for everything, Eboni. But something happened, and you're the other one I can trust.

I simply nodded because I was too shocked to say anything. I grabbed her hand and quickly pulled her along to the girls bathroom because I knew no-one would be in there so early in the morning.

When we arrived I span round tk face her. "Shoot."

"Right, look, Eboni.." she started, her voice so quiet like she was afraid. "I'm sorry about everything. Everything I said, I take it all back. Please, forgive me, I can't lose you too."