Chapter 6

*Feel free to point out any spelling errors I may have missed! I hope you enjoy!*

“Hello!? Anyone home!?” Hailey yelled, poking her head around my doorway. I sighed, placing my pencil back on the desk as I turned to face the vivacious redhead who roomed next door.

“Just me, as always,” I replied, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

“There’s a party tonight over at Eleanor’s. You wanna come?” she asked, much to my surprise. Eleanor and I had exchanged a few hellos in the hallway, borrowed a textbook from each other a time or two, but we were far from friends. Plus, from what I’d heard, her parties usually involved illegal activities, something I didn’t need on my record. I’d had my fair share of those...

“No, I need to finish up these worksheets. Maybe next time,” I said, shooting her a small smile. A little pucker formed between her brows as she stepped stepped inside, blindingly bright in her neon yellow party dress. “You know, you always say ‘next time’ but you never show up. I know we don’t know one another too well, but...are you okay?” 

“Peachy! Parties just aren’t my thing” I said, stretching my smile wider. Hailey didn’t look convinced.

“It’s just weird that I never really see you leave your room. You know, go out and get some fresh air,” she said, emerald eyes uncannily sharp. She was more observant than I’d thought. 

“I’m here to focus on school and the workload is huge this year,” I laughed, though it sounded forced.

“Okay...Don’t be afraid to stop by sometime. We could hang out or something. Have a nice night, Gemma.” 

I nodded in acknowledgment, and she was gone in a flash of red hair and bright pink pumps. 

“This is probably why you don’t have friends, you dummy,” I mentally snapped at myself.

Swiveling back toward my desk, I attempted to focus on the work before me but soon gave up all hope of concentration. Throwing my pen down onto the desk, I stood, shuffling over to my window. Leaning on the sill, I looked up at the stars in the sky, trying in vain to pick out London from among the constellations. I briefly wondered what you were doing– if you were staring up at the sky just like I was; tracing the patterns, mumbling the stories of the three sisters to yourself in the dark of the hostel room. 

No matter how much a fool I made of myself earlier in the day, I couldn’t bring myself to regret the impromptu visit. Some part of me still craved your presence, more than I knew I should. 

Groaning, I placed my forehead against the glass, listening as some sort of rock music started up from across the hall. The floor vibrated beneath my soles, making the window pane shake. I still had a slight headache, so to say the least, the booming bass was unwelcome. Glancing once more at the pile of papers that awaited me, I threw on a coat, some sweats and a pair of boots before slipping from my dorm. Hailey was right. Some fresh air would be nice.

****

Creak. Creak.

Creak. Creak. 

The rusty chains of the swing scratched against the bar holding them as I swung back and forth. The small park was empty, save for squirrel running up and down a tree across the way. It was nice; relaxing. Being left alone with my thoughts was something I usually tried to avoid because there was always a ninety-nine percent chance that you would be where my thoughts ultimately wound up. 

Glancing over both shoulders, I closed my eyes, resting my head against one of the chains. I swung my feet back and forth absently, allowing myself little snippets of memories from those last days. 

Painting your back as the sun began to set.

Catching the moth that was a few weeks early. 

Hearing the dingo in the distance.

Pointing out the constellations.

Falling asleep in your arms...

“Gemma, is that you?” 

I snapped my head around so fast I was surprised it didn’t fly from my shoulders. I didn’t think about the words that came out of my mouth until I’d already said them. 

“Did you follow me here?” 

Even in the darkness I could see your face fall, blue eyes loosing some of their shine. “I said I wouldn’t,” you answered, voice hard. “I was out for a walk.” 

“Oh,” I said lamely, turning back around in the swing. I heard your heavy footsteps as you approached, then the creak of the swing as you took a seat on the one beside me.

“How’s your head?” you asked, kicking up some mulch. 

“Better,” I said, glancing at you from the corner of my eye. You were in a coat, sneakers and a pair of jeans, probably what the hostel had provided. 

“That’s good.” 

“Yeah, it is.” 

After that we were silent, the creak of the swings almost getting lost in the wind that began to howl. It was odd, this dynamic we had. Any other girl would have probably called the police. Any other girl wouldn’t have stopped by to pay a visit to her ex-kidnapper. Any other girl wouldn’t be in a park at eleven at night sitting on a swing next to the man that had stolen her. 

But I wasn’t any other girl, was I? 

“I miss you,” you said, causing my grip to tighten. 

“Hmm,” I hummed, not trusting myself to speak. I didn’t trust myself with much when it came to you. 

“Did you miss me?” 

I shrugged, biting my lip so hard I’d thought I’d draw blood. How was I supposed to answer that? A yes or no would change everything.    

A sudden warmth enveloped my hand, tugging me from my seat and to the side. 

“Ty, what–” 

But stopped when you wrapped both arms around me in a suffocating hug. I stood between your legs, my chin resting on your shoulder, arms pressed against your chest. I stiffened, soon relaxing when you started to rub soothing circles on my back. I fell into you, your arms dropping to my waist to hold me up. 

“Is this okay?” you asked, warm breath tickling my neck. I felt safe with you, no matter how ridiculous it was.

“I did miss you,” I whispered, ignoring the question and giving into the guilty pleasure of your embrace. Tears pricked at my eyes as my hands fisted into the lapels of your coat. “I shouldn’t, but I do. This was never supposed to happen, but it has and I don’t know what to do anymore, Ty. I want you and I don’t.” The tears had spilled over, staining the knitted material. I felt you take a deep breath, arms loosening as you pulled me back to look me in the eyes. 

“I promised that you could do whatever you wanted, that I wouldn’t force you into anything ever again. I’m sticking to that,” you murmured, wiping the stray tears from my flushed cheeks. Brushing my hair behind my ears, you brought me against you again, holding me tighter if that was possible. 

I don’t know how much time had passed, but the temperature had fallen significantly, my fingers starting to tingle even thought they were shielded from the cold as they rested between us. 

Us. What a strange thought. 

“I have a test tomorrow. Early in the morning,” I said, though it was muffled against the crook of your neck where my head had eventually ended up. 

“Alright...” you said after a few minutes, arms releasing me slowly; reluctantly. I backed up a few feet, turning slightly towards the direction of the dorms. 

“Goodnight,”  you said, your smile sad. 

“Night,” I replied, smiling hesitantly, before turning and walking off into town. And as the cold seeped through my clothes, I couldn’t deny that I wanted to be back in your arms. Right then, walking through the darkness, your warmth was the only warmth I wanted.