Our Song (1)

I've always been the kind of person that believed that everything in life should be fair; that everyone should get a turn and all that jazz. Usually parents tell their kids that life isn't fair, and my parents were no different. But I thought differently from other kids; I didn't just listen to my parents and forget about it. I truly believed that life should be fair for everyone.

And that was how my first problem emerged.

I knew life wasn't fair. If it was, things would be a lot different for me. I guess the earth just couldn't turn unless things went wrong. If life was fair, everyone would be happy and no one would have any problems. The world just didn't work that way.

"It isn't fair," my best friend Cassie whined, dragging out the last word. "The hottest guy in the entire school is, like, in love with you and you don't even care. Why are you so weird, Leah?"

"I'm not interested in all that popularity stuff," I shrugged, continuing to go through my locker as she leaned up against the one next to mine. "I mean, popularity isn't going to last forever. I highly doubt any affection Sean has for me will last forever either."

Cassie rolled her eyes. "You're not thinking right, Lee. If you were to date him, we would get so much more popular. I mean, he's a senior and we're juniors. It's like... two completely different worlds that we live in."

I couldn't help but give her a weird look. "Are you high or something right now?"

"No," she excused, waving a hand in front of her face to dismiss it. "I'm just stating the facts, that's all."

"I think we're popular enough."

Cassie looked offended. "There is no such thing!"

"Don't listen to her," a new voice now said, and both Cassie and I turned to see our friend Leslie smirking at us. "You know that all she cares about is being popular."

"Nuh-uh," Cassie denied, but all three of us knew that she didn't even believe that.

"There's not even that big of a difference between juniors and seniors," I tried to explain, but I knew Cassie wasn't about to listen to me. That didn't stop me from continuing on anyway. "I don't like Sean. He really only cares about himself."

"But he likes you," she whispered, as if it was some type of big secret.

I rolled my eyes. "For now."

Before Cassie could say anything else, I felt an arm wrap around my shoulders. I almost dropped my books; not because I was scared, but because I knew who it was without even having to turn toward them.

"Leah, babe, listen," Sean tried to persuade, his grasp on my shoulders tightening. "You and me, all alone at my uncle's cabin by the lake. Doesn't that sound fantastic?"

Quite the opposite.

"Sorry, Sean," I apologized, stepping away from him and letting his arm drop after his hand was traveling lower than it should have been. "I'm deathly afraid of water. I wouldn't be able to have any fun because I'd just be afraid I was going to die."

Leslie snickered to my left, but Sean completely ignored her like he usually did. "I'll protect you," he tried, taking a step closer to me.

The bell rang then, saving me from having to shoot down more of Sean's advances. I still wasn't very happy, though, considering what class I was going to have to go to next.

English was usually my favorite subject, but someone in this particular class with me seemed to love to drive me insane. Leslie was luckily in this class with me, but unfortunately she didn't make it any more enjoyable.