"Aujourd'hui."

"Oh, yeah." His face perked up and he turned back to his work. It is hard to believe that he was only nine. I pulled the green pen out of my pocket and checked his paper. Over all it was really good, a few spelling mistakes here and there and some subject-verb agreement issues but lot better than his French. "I'm done!" I jumped away from him and into the counter top, almost cursing out loud. "Jacob! Don't do things like that." He grinned manically and held out his paper. We swapped and I he went back to fix his mistakes, glancing at his Spanish book one longingly before pushing it away. A bright blue car drove pass and parked across the street in Jake's driveway, followed by a dark green Jeep. A dark haired man stepped out and waved to Miss Parker. She smiled and they stuck up a conversation. He must have said something charming and funny because she laughed and waved her hand in front of her face in a nervous flutter.

I shook my head and gripped my pen tighter. I shouldn't be daydreaming, I have more important things to do. I graded it quickly and set it on the table for him to work on when he was done. My eyes found the window again, looking for the strange man but they were gone. I shrugged and grabbed a cookie. Oatmeal raisin without the raisin, my favorite. My mother might be an airhead, but she was an airhead with amazing cutlery skills. I polished off two more before the doorbell rang. I frowned and walked into the hall. A glance through the peephole revealed Jake's mother, twisting her hand nervously and looking over to the left with a small smile. She usually let me walk him over after our tutoring sessions. this was odd. I opened the door and made my voice cheery.

"Hello Miss Parker, how are you today?" She seemed surprised, as if she wasn't expect me to open the door.

"Oh, just fine Scarlet. I came to pick up Jacob. Mr. Farrel, Jacob's new music teacher.

"How do you do?" He said with a polite nod of his head. His hair was a dark shiny brown and he had a slight receding hairline. That he covered up by letting his hair grow a bit longer than most male teachers standard buzz cuts. His eyes were a dull hazel and his smile gave off a friendly vibe that had me replying earnestly.

"I'm well, thank you. Please come in." I stepped aside to let them pass, nodding towards the kitchen. "He's almost done with his French."

"Scarlet is Jacob's tutor. She is a very bright and driven young girl," rambled Miss Parker. She didn't seem to be able to stand the silence. I smiled at her, not understanding why she was so flustered. Mr. Farrel wasn't bad looking, but he wasn't Brad Pitt either. She was an attractive woman, still young and vibrant looking. Her hair was the same light brown as Jake's and her eyes were a bright and clear blue. She had an honest face, a petite frame and a bubbly personality. If anything, Mr. Farrel should be nervous around her. We fell into silence, not knowing what to talk about. Jake's pencil clicked against the table at an incredibly slow pace. He was eavesdropping and not working. If his mother wasn't standing right here, I would scold him for slacking off.

"Do you play any instruments?" Mr. Farrel said, his eyes resting on me after scanning the room.

"Regrettably not. I don't have time with all my academic studies." I smiled apologetically and Miss Parker glanced down at the floor.

"Do you sing?"

"No. I'm not much interested in music, I'm afraid." What was Jake doing?

"That's to bad." The silence reigned for another few minutes and I considered asking then to sit down, but Jake finally trudged out with his book bag slung over one shoulder. I expected to here Miss Parker tuting him for bad posture, but all she did was smile in relief and set her hand on his shoulder.

"Parker hunny, this is Mr. Farrel."

"Hello young man." Farrel said, offering up his hand. "I cannot wait to see what talent you have hidden up your sleeve. Parker looked at him sulkily, but I could tell he was exited about being treated like an adult.

"We'll be going now Scarlet, say hello to your parents and brother for me."

"Will do Miss Parker." She steered Jake out the door, fixing his bag with slender fingers.

"Scarlet, if you ever change your mind about music give me a call." Mr. Farrel handed me a business card with his name, number, email and work address on it.

"Will do Mr. Farrel." I smiled and closed the door behind him. I finally had time to do what I wanted. Walking back out to the kitchen, I poured myself another glass of milk and grabbed a few more cookies to take to my room. My mother decided to choose that moment to walk in, covered in dirt from the garden.

"Who was that, dear?" I swallowed my cookie and drank my milk all in one go.

"Just Miss Parker."

"Awe. I wished she would have stayed. I want to show off my new flower bushes. they are really taking off." She smiled warmly and rubbed her cheek with the back of one dirty hand, smudging a bit of dirt onto her pale skin.

"She had other things to do." Like me.

"Oh well. did Jake enjoy the cookies? I made them extra-specially fro him. His mother gave me the recipe." She smiled proudly and put her hands on her hips almost as if she was posing.

"He loved them." I washed out my cup and clapped my hands together loudly. "Well, I have homework to do. I'll catch you later Mom." I skirted pass her, careful not to get any dirt on me, and started up the stairs, sticking my hands in my pockets. I realised with a start that I had left my pen on the table and went back to get it. I glanced out the window as i picked it up, noting the tree's spread out along the road in front of the house and behind the Parker's. Everything fit perfectly. The warm brown of the house meshed perfectly with the natural feel of it. the reddish colored shutters gave it an old fashioned feel while the stark white of the door and blinds on the wide windows offset it and gave it a crisp look of a new home. Peeking through those blinds was a dark headed figure, who quickly closed them. I frowned at the oddity of it all and sighed. I needed to get more sleep. Heading upstairs I grabbed my book and sat down in my favorite armchair, my notebook and pen in hand.

*********************

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN.

what, you thought this chapter was BORING!?!?!?!?!

HOW DARE YOU. D:<

I'll have you know that this may be the most important chapter so far! What? you don't believe me? The nerve........

Vote anyway XD

Pretty, pretty please with undead gummybaers on top! They sing! And dance! and are full of undead gummy goodness! :3