I Dreamed Of You

I Dreamed of You

Chapter One

I never have been the most popular person, and I have never excelled at anything except singing, but I never thought I was gullible enough to let anyone use me the way he did.

Maybe I should start at the beginning. My name is Ruby Charlotte Love, and the 'he' I am referring to is Joshua Daniel Jones. I was introduced to Joshua a little over a year ago and from the moment I saw him I knew he was the one for me.

Joshua was built like a Greek god with his beautiful blonde-tinted chestnut hair and the most smoldering pair of blue-green eyes you could feel boring into your soul. He was about six feet tall and under his tight Hollister shirt I could see the formation of his six-pack nicely. But none of these things are what drew me to him. The reason I fell for him is simple, yet impossible to explain at the same time: Joshua was literally the man of my dreams.

My dreams started when I was little; maybe seven. I would have clear 'premonitions', as some people like to call them, about what would happen in my life. Then I would have the recurring dreams. Those were always about who I would meet. Never when or where, just who. I always liked my premonitions better because they were crystal clear, giving me the time and place. Sure, I usually met the people I dreamed about within a month, but it was never set in stone. I was reminded of that when Joshua entered my dreams.

He came into my life when I was about thirteen. I knew this was one of my 'special' dreams, as I like to call them, so I gave into the fantasy. We grew up together; I watched him mature into a handsome young man, and he watched me bloom into the not so delicate woman I was forced to be. We eventually began to fall for each other, and even though it was just a dream, I knew that one day we would meet and all of this could be real. However, when I turned seventeen, I began to see him less and less in my dreams. This wasn't how it's supposed to be! I dream about them every night, until I meet them. Why would I be having such scarce dreams of him? Alarm bells started going off in my head as I figured out the answer on the last night he came.

Joshua was standing in a junk yard on top of a pile of cars, most likely awaiting my arrival. He smiled at me, but it was a sad smile. The look on his face confirmed my suspicions; this would be the last time I was to see Joshua again.

I looked up into his gleaming eyes and cried, "Why? Why are you leaving me alone? Why?"

He jumped down from his perch on the cars and grabbed me in a strong embrace as I began to sob. As he held me I began to calm, and I took in his every feature as if I were looking at him for the first time. His perfect full lips were now set into a frown, and his square jaw was tight-set, making him look years older than eighteen. Finally, I looked up into those piercing eyes, the eyes that could always peer into my very soul. They were filled with the only tears I had ever seen Joshua cry.

He gave me an answer through his tears, "I don't know why I have to leave Ruby. I don't want to, but I feel something forcing me out."

"Joshua, you won't remember me, will you?" It was more of a statement than a question, but I still had to hear him say it to be sure.

"I'll try my hardest to Ruby, but to be honest, I think I'm supposed to forget you. I'm already starting to forget some of our time together. This force, this evil that is making me leave you is also making me forget you. I hate it! But Ruby, will you just promise me one thing?"

"Of course." I would promise him anything, he was the love of my life.

"Promise to never forget me. And never forget that I loved you. I have loved you since the first time I laid my eyes on you in this very same junk yard."

"I can never forget you. You were brought into my dreams for a reason, and even though you dream about me too, you're supposed to forget me, at least in some ways. My blessing and my curse is to always remember."

"I know, but I just wanted to make sure, you know, just in case. Plus, you didn't say I promise."

It was just like Joshua to make the mood light when we were supposed to be depressed. "Okay Joshua, I promise to never forget you," I smirked.

He smiled a genuine thousand watt smile that I was so accustomed to seeing him wear, and he leaned down to kiss my forehead. Instead, I leaned up to kiss him full on the mouth. If he was leaving me, then I wanted something to remember him by. I felt him fading away from me, "I love you Ruby," was the last thing I heard before I realized he was gone.

I woke up from my dream with a start, and then everything came crashing down on me like a tidal wave. Joshua was gone, gone for good. I was never going to see him again. I began to sob. I vaguely remember my mother coming to comfort me, but I knew nothing would ever be the same after that. Not even my mother's wise words of wisdom could change that. That night was officially the start of the rest of my life, and unfortunately, it wasn't going to have a happy ending.