Chapter 6

I stood at the entrance of the room and looked around astounded by the scene set before me. It was like heaven on earth, or heaven in hell? There were several stations, hand in hand combat, identifying plants, archery, camoflage and a few more others. The only problem I currently had was which one to try first.

"Save your archery skills for the judges. Rememeber to appear vulnerable." My father whispered in my ear.

"Come on sis lets go and do hand and hand combat. I'll show you a few things." My brother told me as he pulled me off towards the mat.

I had a feeling my brother was helping me act out the vulnerable fisad. It was either that or he didn't know I could fight. My father taught me several things  when it came to hand in hand and after several months of practice I was able to over power my father. That month was the month my father gave me the nickname little killer. Well the nickname lasted no longer than a few days because my mother didn't like it.

My brother and I started off in practicing our blocks and then slowly brought in our feet. Our small battle turned into competition which was nothing new. Both my brother and I had a competitive nature. My brother got carried away and lifted me up before slamming me on my back. Almost instantly the wind was knocked out of my chest and I was clutching to try and get some air.

My brother moved to hold out his hand to help me to my feet but I quickly kicked his feet out from under him and then put him in a choke hold. After 10 seconds he was forced to tap out. I released my death grip on him and moved to my feet as he began coughing.

"Good job" He gasped as he too got to his feet.

"I'm going to go and shoot a few arrows." I said as I started to head off.

"Remember what mom said' River reminded me.

I looked at him and sighed as I headed over to the archery stations. Great now I had to purposely act like I had no idea how to use a bow. Should be fun.

I stopped before a shelf that held several different types of bows. Picking one up that reminded me of my own I turned it over in my hands as if I had no idea what I was doing. Looking like a complete idiot, check, I thought to myself.

"Do you know how to use those?" A random boy asked me.

I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. "I can manage" I looked him over and took sight of his look. He had shouder length red hair, freckles and dark green eyes. "I'm Aloe I'm from District-"

"12" The boy finished for me. "Yeah, your parents are legend. Er I'm Phoenix. I'm a career from District 2." He held out his hand and shook mine.

"I like your hair" I spoke to him. "It's different."

He chuckled. "Yeah its a family thing. This was my third year in the reaping, lets just say the odds weren't in my favor this year round."

"I volunteered for my friend Lia." I said as I set a arrow onto my bow and pulled it back. Without thinking I aimed and released the arrow. It soared the 15 feet and hit the small center of the target at the far end of the room.

"Woah!" Phoenix said. "That's impressive where did you learn to do that?"

"My mom taught me." I murmered.

I then remembered what my father told me and chanced a glance around the room. Good no one saw. Phoenix stepped forward and began talking in a lowered voice.

"I want you in my group as an allie." He said to me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Can I think about it and get back to you?" I asked him.

He nodded his head. "Anytime."

Just then a loud bell went of and everyone around us headed out.

"Sit with us at lunch?"

I smiled and walked with him towards the eatery where we loaded our plates with our favorite dishes and sat down talking. Pheonix and myself sat at our own table and fell into conversation.

"So are there any other things I should know about you? What are your skills?"

I looked around the room until I found my mother, father and brother. They eyed me curiously and I quickly looked away. I was sure to get an earful tonight I could feel it.

"I am not sure." I replied before stuffing my mouth with food to give me an excuse for my sudden quietness.

"Thats about 70 percent of us so don't feel bad."

I looked up at Phoenix and nodded my head. After I was stuffed I rose to my feet. "I'll see you tomorrow at training." I told him.

"Actually training in the morning is private sessions so I most likely won't see you until the interviews later that evening."

"Interview?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah we get a 3 minute interview just to talk and all. It's another stage where more sponsers will be having their eye on you. There are two more times for us to show our best for the sponsers after our first interview so make sure whatever you do you do it for the best." He rose to his feet and patted me on the shoulder before he headed off.

I stared after him, watching his hair dance around his shoulders as he walked away. It was like fire flickering, it was fascinating.