before

what's past is prologue. the tempest

She ran into the forest.

Rumors say dark and dangerous creatures lurk within, awaiting their prey, but it was the only place she had left to go. Her hand covered half her face, which burned like fire, and pain coursed through her veins. Her satin cloak flew behind her like a cape, her face hidden under the fur-trimmed hood.

The more the she ran, the more her energy drained away, like water being drained out of a glass. Once safe beneath the shadows of the trees, she sank to the ground, the soil instantly staining her soft white dress.

She would have brushed the dirt off her dress, if it were simply an ordinary day. But, at that moment, she didn't even notice.

Her eyebrows were pinched together and overwhelming sadness sat in her eyes. Tears built up, threatening at any moment to fall onto her cheeks.

Suddenly, the tears overwhelmed her eyes, and sobs started to escape.

Her face was in her hands, and she could feel her palms rubbing against something rough. She ran one hand down half of her face, expecting to feel that familiar smooth soft surface, but was greeted with a rough and sandy texture.

Evarose just simply dismissed it as a fragment of her imagination. It can't mean anything.

Knowing she couldn't go back, she began walking further and deeper into the forest, ignoring the fear that built up inside her at just the mere thought of the rumors and the horrible expressions on the people's faces.

She passed by a creek, bubbling and reflecting the shadows around her. The moon was safely hidden behind gray clouds, and nothing but darkness and unfamiliarity surrounded her. She could hear the sounds of water splashing, the cool spray landing on her skin.

Taking in a breath, she bent down and began to wash away the salty tears, not caring about the dirt and soil on her dress. She couldn't; what was dirt compared to her survival?

Suddenly the moon took the chance to come out, bathing her surroundings in soft light. She looked around. The forest was quiet. The leaves in the trees swayed and danced with the wind, rustling, and some floating gently to the ground.

And then Evarose saw. The creek: how the water glimmered and shone; the tiny plants and green moss on the surrounding rocks; her reflection.

The girl staring back at her from the water opened her mouth in shock as a scream escaped her lips.