Chapter 9

Laila's P.O.V.
"...and we have to find the scientific notation of the equation to help us determine..."
I wasn't paying attention to Mr. Jaet's droning, and I'm pretty sure no one else was either. Then again, it wasn't any ordinary Friday.

7 minutes until the dance.

Excitement was welling up in me, but fear was closing in as well. Would my parents find out? Would Felix like the dress I bought? Will my hair look alright?

6 minutes.

Period 5 is almost over I thought to myself. School is almost over. I'm about to see Felix. I can do this. Just keep my chin up. I'll get through this.

5 minutes.

I think back to the green dress I bought with Millie almost 3 weeks ago. It was a cute summer dress that ends at my knees. It had two somewhat thick straps that crossed at my back. I already put in my locker so that I could change after in the bathroom. The dance starts right after period 5.

4 minutes.

3 minutes.

2 minutes.

1 minute.

As soon as the bell rung, everyone had jumped out of the desks and sprinted to their lockers. I was among them.
My baby blue locker soon came to view and I hastily put in the combination. When I open it I see papers of all sorts stacked at the bottom in a pile and my book bag was at the very back of my locker.
My green dress hung loosely on one of the hooks.

Everyone was putting away their things and going to the dance. They all had brought their dresses and ties on, so they didn't have to change. I had to sneak mine in my backpack so no one would find out.

"Hey Laila!" I hear. I turn my head and find Millie and Esperanza strolling to my locker.

Millie is wearing an azure dress with silver stilettos. Her dress was sleeveless and had a diamond circle in the middle directly underneath her chest. It had strands of lightly sparkled covered ribbons that fell down to her knees and soon disappeared with the rest of the ribbons that divided her chest from her waist line. Her black hair was in a bun with a small diamond clip around it to match the circle on her dress. Her makeup was perfect and made her look like a godess.

Esperanza is wearing a strapless red dress with a slight opening at one side, revealing an even toned leg.
Her light brown hair was to the side. Her black heels matched the onyx necklace she was wearing. She wore red lip stick that emphasizes the dress. Her makeup was also flawless.
Not many girls have the guts, looks, or curves to pull that off. Esperanza, however, had all 3.

They both looked amazing.

"Umm..hi." I said shyly. I may have a proposition with Millie, but Esperanza was a different story...

"Hi Laila. We just wanted to tell you we're going to wait for you at the dance." Esperanza stated confidently. You could make out her South African roots as she spoke.
"Okay." I respond.
They strolled off together, giggling and chatting. There was no way I could look anywhere as good as them I thought.

I hurry into the bathroom to change. I strip myself and hastily put on the dress. It had an olive green chest and ruffles at the bottom that were an even darker green. A nice summer dress.
I undo my braid that I made in the morning to create natural waves. I put on lip balm and change into a pair of black flats.

I was right.

I am nowhere near how pretty they are.

I sigh. Oh well. I'm already late for the dance. I grab my clothes and stuff them In my locker. The hall ways were deserted and quiet. I grab the $3 I saved for the dance and rush downstairs.

I finally reach the cafeteria. One of the gym teachers stood near the door with a table and a small black box. I walk over to her.
"That will be three dollars," she said in a tired tone. She hastily counts my money and stores it in the black box. It seems like ages before she said, "Okay, you can go now."
I open the oak door, revealing a dark cafeteria full of middle school kids dancing like lunatics. A small table set up serving drinks and pizza. The DJ on the stage playing Ellie Goulding. Everybody seemed happy.

The smile was gone when I saw it.
I stared.
I didn't think I could look away even if I tried.
My attention was fixed on what I was seeing.
I felt the tears burn hot in my eyes.

It hurt so much.

I never thought it would.
Never thought it could.

I ran out of the cafeteria. I ran to the bathroom. I don't know what I would do nor did I understand what to do entirely.

If you had asked me what pain was like yesterday, I would've said it's when you're harmed or dying.

Guess I forgot that love can hurt too.