Chapter 18: Are we there yet?

James' P.O.V.

"Daddy we have to leave!" Nicholas says yanking on my arm.

"I know buddy but I gotta find my keys first." I answer roaming the table.

"But I wanna see mommy." He whines.

"I do too but- found them. Let's go." I pick him up and carry him to the car. I make sure he's buckled up well and get into the car myself. The ride to the train station is pretty long. Nicholas is playing on the iPad but about 30 minutes into the car ride he's getting impatient.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah." I quickly look in the rear view mirror, then back at the road.

"Are we there yet?"

"Not yet buddy." He sighs.

"I'm hungry."

"I'm driving Nicholas, I can't give you any food now." He crosses his arms and kicks his food against my seat. "Nicholas!" I say sternly. He chuckles and does it again. "Quit it!" And again. "I'm not joking Nick. Stop it now or you won't see mommy." I hate to be so harsh to him, but I'm driving so him bothering me could be dangerous.

"Sorry daddy." He mumbles. He sighs and throw his head back. "Are we there yet?" I chuckle.

"No buddy, not yet, but we're getting closer." He goes back to playing with the iPad. About 15 minutes pass and we finally arrive.

"Yay! We're gonna see mommy!" Nicholas exclaims which makes me smile. I get off the car and get Nicholas out of his seat. I take his hand and walk into the train station, straight to where Joni's train should be arriving. I check the board and it says the train will be 7 minutes late. I sit down on a bench and put Nicholas on my lap. I give him the chocolate he has been asking about. After 7 long minutes the train finally arrives. I get up, holding on to Nicholas and scan the crowd looking for the face I've been missing so much. Suddenly her eyes lock with mine and a small smile appears on her lips. "Mommy!" Nicholas yells and her smile grows bigger as tears form in her eyes.I run towards her, Nicholas' arms wide open. We reach her and Nicholas wraps his arms around her.

"Hi baby." She whispers. She kisses his cheek and puts him down. I cup her cheek with one hand and lay the other one on her belly.

"Finally." I breath out and kiss her repeatedly. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too." She responds as she wraps her arms around my torso. I of course gladly hug her back.

"Let's go home." I pick up her bag and intertwine our fingers. She holds on to Nicholas' hand and we walk to the car. The car ride was rather quiet but I didn't mind at all. It mostly contained of her staring at me with that gorgeous smile of hers plastered on her lips. Every now and then I would glance over at her which results into her looking down with a slight blush on her cheeks, but only seconds would pass until she would look up and stare at me again. We arrive home and I put her bag in the bathroom so we can do the laundry later. We barely had our coats off and Nicholas was already pulling on Joni's arm, several times.

"Mommy, mommy, mommy, daddy got us a present." I look at him with wide eyes.

"Nick, that was supposed to be a surprise."

"Sorry daddy."

"It's okay, big man." I slightly smile. "So you and you." I point to both of them. "Sit down on the couch. I'll be right back." Joni giggles and I run upstairs. I pick up the black and white dog I had hidden in our bedroom before we left and make my way back.

"A dog?" Joni exclaims in disbelieve.

"Yup." I simply say and sit next to her. She pets him and he immediately starts licking her, causing her to giggle in the most adorable way. "He likes you, but not as much as I like you." She looks at me in aww and I kiss her lips. Meanwhile Nicholas had also found his way to the dog and they were fooling around.

"So what do you want to name him?"

"Well he reminds me of a fox so...Fox?"

"Sounds perfect." She lays her head on my chest as we watch Nicholas play with Fox. "So what are we having for dinner?"

"Oops." Joni giggles.

"You forgot all about it, didn't you?"

"I might have." She giggles again.

"Can we have pizza, mommy?" Nicholas suddenly asks.

"Can we James?" She looks up at me.

"I'll go order."

"Yay!" Nicholas shouts and goes back to playing with Fox. As dinner was finished, we watched some T.V..

"Time for bed Nicholas." Joni says. He pouts.

"I don't wanna go to bed. I wanna stay here with you."

"It's already late, sweetie, you have to. Tomorrow there's another day. Come on, I'll read you a story." She gets up and holds out her hand. He takes it and they start walking towards the stairs.

"Wait, daddy should come too, and Fox." I smile and pick up Fox as I make my way towards the staircase. Joni and I read Nicholas a story together and see him close his eyes drifting to sleep. Since we're both exhausted we decide to get ready for bed too. We lay down and I put my arms around her.

"Goodnight boo."

"Night babe, I love you." She kisses me.

"I love you too. Welcome home." She nuzzles her face in my chest and I thighten my grip around her, slowly falling asleep.