Chapter 20 - 'Don't Get More Than Your Hopes Up.'

If some stuff sounds familiar then it's cos it's I've used what I took out before.  Play the song at the side while reading. Enjoy xx

There were few moments in life which truly shocked me, like that episode in Downton Abbey where Lady Sybil died and I ended up crying for two days straight because that shit wasn’t ok. However, Drew Harries asking me to meet his mother was something which surpassed all of those moments because it was his mother. He hardly ever mentioned her and, while everyone knew she was in hospital, no-one knew the full extent of her condition, and I suspected Drew kept it to himself so he wouldn’t burden anyone else with his worries – he got that we all had shit going on in our lives.

 “Oh,” I stared up at his emerald eyes with shock causing me to ever so eloquent.

He grinned. “Jamie couldn’t stop going on about you. Sophia this and Sophia that…’Mum, Sophia is so nice’ or ‘Sophia’s got Drew whipped’,” he chuckled as I quirked an eyebrow at his words.  “The last one is not true but she can see he’s a bit happier, he’s more comfortable with himself and that is down to you.”

I shook my head because that wasn’t true. “No, that’s all Jamie.”

“Yeah but you helped and after hearing so many stories from her sons about this mystery girl she wants to meet you. I told her, you know,” he breathed softly, “about what you said about her treatment and she said she was thankful that I had friends who loved me enough to go look into that stuff because a lot of people just tip toe around or ignore it completely. But the pain it never truly leaves, it’s always there like all consuming ache.”

“I know what you mean,” I bit my lip awkwardly. “It was really hard when my mum was in hospital because I felt so helpless. No matter where I was or who I was with I was just so aware that I could lose the precious thing to me and I guess I threw myself into other things to forget about it but I never really could.”

“But she’s better now, right?” Drew prompted as I nodded because it hurt to talk about it.

“I would love to see your mum, Drew,” I informed him after a minute.  “Look, I was actually going to tell you this after the dance but now is a good time. I really hope you won’t mind…”

“You finally admit you want to have your way with my body?”

I snorted. “Seriously, do not get more than your hopes up, Harries. It’s actually about your mum.”

I bit my bottom lip as I looked into Drew’s dark piercing gaze who looked guarded now, and after that look from him I felt more nervous than ever.

“Basically, I spoke to the club about it and we all decided that half of the money raised by the dance will go to Cancer Research. We probably won’t raise all that much, and obviously we can’t give all the money since the rest is going to be spent on improving the Gay-Straight relations, but it’s something. I really hope you don’t mind, I know I should have spoken to you about it before but I wanted to I guess tell you after the total of was raised,” I finished nervously as Drew stared at me with his eyebrows quirked.

“Why...” he began before shaking his head. “Why would you do that?”

“Because I care about you, Drew.” I couldn’t believe he even had to ask that question. “You were there for me when I went through that difficult time with my mother and, it’s not much, but I want to support you.”

To my utter shock Drew then took a step towards me. I didn’t want to  be near him. I can swear on Ryan Gosling’s abs that I honestly didn’t. And it had nothing to do me being uncomfortable by his close proximity (let’s be honest, at this point I was used to him being so close). No, it had everything to do with the fact I was at the park with Drew. Not another person in sight but the boy in front of me.