“Oh hey, you want to come over tonight?  Watch a movie or something?”

She shook her head and said “rain check?  I need to go start cleaning my room.  It’ll be harder to pack up if I don’t.”  She frowned but then added jokingly, “but hey, you can come help.”

Before I could respond, the doors opened.  A red head walked in and picked up a few candy bars.  She walked to the register and handed me the chocolate.  I plastered a smile on my face and asked “will this be all?”  she was looking through her wallet for a few dollar bills and pulled them out.

“Yeah, thanks.  Me and my boyfriend are going to the movies, might as well try to sneak in some food.”

I smiled.  “I do that all the time.  That’ll be 5.64.”  I placed the chocolate in a small plastic bag and handed it to her.  She smiled back and walked out of the store.  We waited about fifteen more minutes and when no one came in, Mr. Goldman told us we could go, and he would lock up.  I grabbed my purse and smiled as we ran out to my car, an old black SUV.  I took my place behind the driver’s seat and Katie got in shotgun.  We looked at each other smiling and screamed “Pizza!”

Dominos was about five minutes from the store and then from there it was ten minutes to her house.

I decided I’d rather go home and relax for a night than go clean my friend’s room for her.  I dropped her off along with half the pizza and went back to my house.  The lights were off, meaning my parents were at some sort of work thing.  I went upstairs and when I got to my room I sat on my bed with my pizza and laptop.  I opened up the word document I wrote my poetry on and started typing.

The world turned upside down today

I saw you in a brand new light,

through brand new eyes.

I loved writing, but no one knew about it, not even Katie.  However, I’m planning on telling people about it soon, since I decided to take an advanced creative writing class.

I wrote two more stanzas of this poem which I titled confusion, and posted it on this website I love, unitedworldpoets.com, which is like facebook for poets.  I looked at the time which was eight o’clock.  “Ugh!”  I was tired, but it was far too early to justify going to sleep.

I went to my email that I left logged on all the time.  I didn’t have many important email, just a lot of junk mail and then an email from my twin brother, Luke.

Dear sis,

How’ve you been?  Sorry it’s been so long since I emailed.  So you’re starting college in a bit, huh?  Hey, tell Katie I said happy early birthday.  Actually, don’t for a while.

I’m thinking of coming back.  What do you think of that?  It’s been so long.  Have the rents cooled down at all?  I’ll be back online in two days.  If you tell me to come back I will, but if you tell me they’re still pissed at me I’ll stay put.

Your big bro,

Luke.

I laughed when I read the ‘big bro’ part.  He was technically older than me, but only by an hour.

My parents don’t know we’ve had any contact since he left a year ago.  And by left, I mean fell off the face of the planet.

A year ago my brother got arrested and needed my parents to bail him out of jail.  They had a long fight and the next day no one knew where he was.  But we always were pretty close, so we kept contact.  Of course, he was in Chile right now without any internet, so he couldn’t email me very often, just when he was at this café place and could afford to use the computer for an hour.

When he left he didn’t want to be found so he couldn’t use his credit card, or phone, or even facebook.  But he got a job and can afford an email every once in a while.

I thought about the email for a minute, then clicked ‘reply’.

Dear Loser,

Hahahaha.  I don’t know if mom and dad are still mad that you got arrested, but I know they’re really pissed that you left.  But I still think you should come back.  The longer you’re gone the worse it’ll be when you do.

Luke, I would tell Katie happy birthday, but I think you should come say it yourself.

Lu ya bro,

Your mature sister,

Lainey

Of course he would remember my best friend’s birthday.  Katie’s turning nineteen in about a week.  I have to say though, I am excited for her party.  It’ll just be a huge house party, but since we never got invited to a lot of those in high school, I was always excited when there was one.

Don’t get me wrong.  It’s not like we were the geeks of the school or anything, but we also weren’t in the cool crowd, but we did have a lot of friends.  Enough anyway to have a huge party.  Besides, who wouldn’t want to go to the Goldman house?  It was huge!

After a minute of thinking I decided to get on Facebook and ask someone to go shopping for a new outfit to wear.  No one who I was close enough with to go shopping with was online to chat with, so I just posted a status asking if anyone wanted to go to the mall the next day.

I checked the time again.  8:30. I sighed in resignation.  “Screw this.  I’m tired.”

I closed my laptop and turned off the lamp on my nightstand before reaching for my MP3 player which I kept plugged into speakers half the time.  I turned on my top rated playlist and turned it on shuffle.  I was pleased to hear Orianthi’s “shut up and kiss me” playing through my room.  I laid down and pulled the covers closer to myself.

I sang along for a minute before falling asleep.

“It’s a love, hate relationship,

You say you can’t handle it

But it’s too late to close your mouth,

So shut up and kiss me.”

[A/N: New book, what do you think.  I decided I didn't want another cliched werewolf rejection stroy, so this is one with a twist.]