Chapter 53. Miraculous*

Meet Hawk above

Chapter 53. Moth's Wings by Passion Pit

Evan reached toward Hawk with both hands, not sure where to lay them on his face. His upper jaw seemed to be back to normal now, but his lower jaw consisted of two separate mandibles, which twitched whenever he swallowed or tried to make a sound. They still looked like the pincers on a praying mantis to her. Erasing that image from her mind, Evan decided to put her energy to the test. Rather than put her hands in contact with his face, she held them to the side an inch or less from his skin. Concentrating with all her might, she imagined the two parts coming together to meet in the middle. Envisioning the two halves becoming one, Evan focused the energy flow through her fingertips and palms toward his broken visage. Over and over in her mind, she thought 'heal'. She watched in surprise as when she had finally cleared her mind of everything but 'heal', the flesh began to flow under her command. She began to carefully consider her next instruction, not wanting to do something wrong and cause Hawk harm.

As his flesh healed, Evan brought her fingertips closer, in an effort to manipulate the growth more. The thought came to her: 'as it once was, let it be again'. Evan did not think those words would cause harm, so she thought them over and over again in her mind. Once more, she was shocked as under her watchful eye and patient hands, a strong square jaw formed, and met together to form a masculine chin with a dimple in it. Evan smiled when the smooth flesh sprouted ginger stubble to match the mohawk on Hawk's head.

Evan let her hands fall to her sides and stared in amazement at what she had accomplished. She also felt fatigue wash over her abruptly as she let her concentration wane. Sagging, she felt Emil's strong arms embrace her as Hawk and Jean reached to catch her as well.

"Evan, are you okay?" Nathan asked, coming to her side as well.

"I'm fine Nathan, just a little tired," she answered breathlessly. For the first time since her change, Evan felt as if she needed air, she gasped for it and forced her lungs to draw air, but felt starved for oxygen.

With a panicked glance in Emil's direction, she whispered, "Air, I need air."

She could tell that Emil did not know what to do. Surely it was impossible that she needed air, but the insistent little beat in her head was pounding ferociously now.

"Baby needs air, Emil...needs oxygen," she begged breathlessly.

"Blood, Evan, you need blood. That will give her oxygen. Here, drink from me. I'll draw deep breaths to see if that will help, while you drink. If not, we'll get a human quickly," Emil said, barely masking the panic in his voice.

He had lifted her into his lap and pulled her close to his neck, thinking that would be the best target for her, and Evan allowed the vampire in her to rise at the offering. She sunk her teeth deep into his neck, and tried to nourish the greedy little parasite inside her. As she drank, the fluttering pulse settled to its more normal rate, and Evan lost the sensation of suffocating. Drawing her tongue across Emil's throat to lap up the last blood droplets as his skin healed shut, she sat back, embarrassed at being surrounded by all of the vampires in the room, fawning over her, witnessing her in what she felt was a rather intimate act.

"Good God," a deep voice rumbled from behind her. Evan turned to find the source the voice belonged to. Hawk really was a fine looking man, if she said so herself. He continued, "Evan, I am eternally grateful."

Hawk ran a tentative hand over his jaw, feeling for any imperfections. Looking at Tourneau, he asked, "Am I...alright? I mean, am I me?"

"Handsome devil as always," Jean answered seriously. "Go have a look in the bathroom mirror, no one will fault you."