Chapter 4

Lucas left the flat in desperate need of some fresh air, his whole body felt sluggish and drained. As he crossed the road and made his way into the park opposite, the counsellor watched from the lounge window of Lucas’ flat as he sat down on the nearest bench he could find.

Lucas had always loved the fact that he had this view every morning when he woke, as his bedroom overlooked the leafy park and he knew how lucky he was to have this haven in such a busy city. But today he couldn’t see the beauty of the place as a cascade of thoughts propelled through his mind at breakneck speed.

Sometime later and lost in his own world Lucas didn’t notice that somebody was now sitting next to him and he jumped when Dr Knights spoke his name.

“Lucas.”

“Dr Knights.” his reply was spoken while he barely looked in her direction, his eyes cast downwards.

“Lucas… we have known each other for a while now…you can call me by my first name if you wish.”

Lucas just nodded to show his acknowledgement.

“Are you alright Lucas?"

He pondered on the question before sighing loudly not willing to share what he thought about himself.

“Lucas.” said the doctor, prompting him again.

“I…..I’m just deeply ashamed.” he said, his brow furrowed as he fought with his emotions.

“For walking out?” her words were short and to the point.

“Yes…..all the times I’ve said to her that if she ever needs me I will always be there for her….and what do I do? ……Walk out on her just when she needs me.”

“Lucas…..what you both went through in Russia is a tough thing to cope with….and it will take time to deal with.”

“It was worse for Amelia though.”

“Maybe….maybe not?”

“How can you say that after you know what she went through?”

“But Lucas….let’s not forget you had been there before.”

“I’m fine though.” he continued, trying to sound convincing.

“Lucas.”

“I’m alright….I got through it once…..I can get through it again.”

“Lucas….you know that’s n…”

“I thought you had come out here to talk to me about Amelia?” he said, cutting her off.

“Yes indeed I did….but you’re my patient too Lucas.”