Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Today was an important day; it was the start of senior year, the beginning of the end, the year that could change Aleah Hallston’s life forever.

Or not.

Tradition suggested it was the year she’d find her mate, the man she was destined to have a long and fruitful life with. Her mother and her grandmother before them all found their mates during their senior year of high school. For other couples it happened later in life too, her Aunt Shelia didn’t find her mate until she was twenty-nine. There were no set timelines and that could drive a werewolf crazy if they weren’t careful.

Aleah refused to let it bother her. She wasn’t boy crazed and she wasn’t going to start being so now. She’d rather wait as long as it took to find the perfect mate, not just the perfect mate for her, but also for her pack. As the only child to the alpha, it was her mate whom was destined to take over the reigns when the faithful day came.

With no more time to spare, Aleah gathered her school supplies and left her bedroom. Her father was waiting by the front door to take her to school. He stood tall, regal even, with a light smile on his face, his bald head covered in a baseball cap and his dark complexion flawless. His smooth skin was something she envied particularly on hormonal days.

“I thought mom was stuck on school duty.”

“She was called into work last night and I took mercy on her. You all ready to go?”

“Yup.”

“Nervous?” he asked, opening the door for her to fit through first.

“Why would I be nervous? It’s the same school I went to last year with the same people.”

“I’ve heard your momma telling you about the mate stories.”

“Dad! I’m never finding a mate, remember?”  Aleah tried to ignore the embarrassment working up her neck. Sure, she and her father were close but no teenage girl liked to talk about boys with their dad. It just wasn’t done.

“You made that vow when you were seven because you thought boys were too gross. I didn’t think it was still in effect.” He tried not to laugh.

“Yes, I still think boys are gross. Maybe I made that vow because even then I knew any boy I tried to date, you might kill.”

“I’m not nearly as overprotective like your mother.”

“True.”

The school was only a five minute drive. Aleah thanked her dad for the ride and made arrangements later for the batting cages. It was a weekly tradition as far back as she could remember.

Sophia Cavil was waiting at the gate for her arrival. Aleah and Sophia met in middle school after Sophia punched a boy giving Aleah too much trouble attempting to steal her homework. Since that day the two girls were inseparable. 

Sophia was a rough around the edges human with no idea of the supernatural life out there. Aleah thought about telling her one day, hell many days, but in the end it was always safer to leave her out of the dark world hovering behind the shadows.

“I have some juicy gossip.” Sophia revealed with a big smile. She lived for knowing everything about anything and everyone, especially people she didn’t like.

“Ok, lay it on me.” They took a seat on a visitor’s bench to wait for the first bell to ring.

“I just heard Steven and April called it quits over the summer break.”

Aleah didn’t get the same satisfaction from gossip. “Ok?”

“That’s not even the best part! Word is she’s knocked up and it isn’t even his!” Sophia covered her mouth to contain some of her gleeful joy. It wasn’t normal for her to enjoy other people’s pain but there was a personal beef with April. Sophia hoped the bitch would rot in hell on a daily basis. “I’m thinking about asking him out.”